New Curtains for the 560 Love Shack

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Jay & Valerie, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

So, now that we completed the Entrance Tent, Valerie is on to the next project. Making new curtains to match the bedspread.

Once again, will document the process and share here. Stay tuned...

SethB likes this.
  2. Jay & Valerie

Well, Valerie finished off all the front curtains yesterday while I was at work so was not able to get too many pictures but I will post what we did get, along with the steps she did in case anyone wants to make new curtains themselves.

3. Rick  Sarah

Rick Sarah Novice

Can't wait to see the new curtains. I will be interested in the directions when you have time to post them. Thank you

4. Jay & Valerie

So here are the curtains installed in the trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have a blue/green colored bedspread so we picked up a medium blue curtain material. The material we chose was pretty opaque so we did not feel like we needed an additional liner. We tested under various lighting conditions and you can't see through the material from the outside of the trailer with trailer lights on. You can only see faint shadows/movement but no real outlines of people or anything.

We felt the original curtains were not quite long enough for our tastes because once closed, they are fully stretched from end to end and we wanted some level of pleat showing even when the curtains were closed. Therefore we went 1 1/2 times the window length which then required 4 yards of fabric to cover all the windows.

Valerie first took some scrap material and made a small mock up so she knew what type of stitch she wanted to use.

We made 4 front curtains and all curtains turn out to be the same size. She cut each piece to 21" x 40". If doing again, she said she would have cut them to 45" instead to get more of a pleating effect when closed.

After cutting all the pieces, she ran the raw edges through the serger to clean up the edges.

[​IMG]

She then made a 1" seam on the left and right side, folded over once. For the top and bottom she did a 1 1/2 inch seam. This allowed it to fit almost perfect from the top of the window to just barely touching the bottom inside rail. You can see both seams here:

[​IMG]

After sewing the seams, she sewed in the glide tape as close to the top as she could. She purchased the glide tape at Camping World.com.

[​IMG]

To sew the glide tape in, she had to use a zipper foot so she could get close to the clips on the glide tape.

Note that the spacing of the clips on the glide tape were not an exact fit for the curtains. Therefore, before sewing it in, layout the glide tape so you can center/place the clips where you want them. We ended up cutting in between 2 clips to better line up a clip near each end of the curtains.

For the center window, we are going to add a piece of Velcro so we can keep the curtains closed where the 2 meet in the center of the window.

Warren Mary Ellen and LisaNKevin like this.
  5. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I love your curtains. I too have been frustrated that they are fully stretched when closed and have to fuss with the edges to make sure there isn't a crack where people can see in. I have stitched magnets into the hem on each end of the middle curtains so that when closed the bottoms stick together in the middle and when open they stick together on each end. The curtains I have are functional and I'm not ready to make some yet but I don't like the color either and someday with make new ones.
    It was really nice that you gave dimensions and instructions. Thanks.

6. Jay & Valerie

She was able to complete all 4 front curtains in just a couple of hours. It was pretty easy

She did wash the fabric first in case it wanted to shrink.

Next up is the side windows. Should be similar but a little bit more work required.

Then we want to make a cover for the couch mattresses to match the curtains and bed spread.

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

Very nice and such a great way to personalize your trailer!

8. Jay & Valerie

Well, she finished the side curtains today. She made them as wide as the fabric was which was about 45" as that is the standard size of a fabric bolt (OK, so I really don't get that but I'm hoping if you sew a lot you will understand).

The top seam was 1 1/2 inches and bottom seam was 2 inches. She did it this way because the track on the top part was closer to the window than the bottom. Therefore, she did not want the top seam to show through the window. The bottom track is further so she had more room and therefore made the seam 2".

Outside view
    [​IMG]

Curtains Closed
    [​IMG]

Curtains Opened
    [​IMG]

She sewed in a small dowel rod on each side of the curtain ends.
    [​IMG]

The dowel rod makes it easier to open/close the curtains as it helps move the top and bottom curtains on the track at the same time. We debated the size of the dowel rod, I think it should have been a little larger as it seems to flex more than I would care for but she thinks it is fine.

9. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

What a great idea with the wooden dowel. Sounds like that is something my existing curtains could use to help keep them in line.

10. Jay & Valerie

OK. Pictures and more description added.

11. Jeff & Connie

Jeff & Connie Newbie

12. Jeff & Connie

Jeff & Connie Newbie

WOW Valerie you did a great job. I'm a professional quilter and, man o' man, are those standard curtains boring. The solid dark blue looks great. I'm making a quilt with 2 large pockets 10" x 15" on the quilt top so things like p.j's, morning sweat pants, etc can be stuffed in them for the next morning.

13. Jay & Valerie

I will let her know. Thanks for sharing.