Air Conditioner New Diffuser for AC unit

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by hiadventurer, May 20, 2016.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We had occasion to remove our diffuser last night, which was the first time we have had a clear idea of the before and after affect of using it. We are camped at Carmi, Illinois, where there was significant rain yesterday. The humidity ranged from a low of 73 percent to a max of 100 percent (average 94 percent). The temps ranged from 71 to 88 (mean temperature 78 degrees).

With the diffuser in place we were very comfortable with a max cool setting around 6.5 around 8 pm, with the temperature in the low 80s. Once we took the diffuser off, we felt less cooling with the max cool set at 7.0. It was also more noticeable that the cabin would warm up just before the AC unit cycled back on.

Needless to say, we reinstalled the diffuser in the morning.

2. jpbrew

jpbrew Novice

We live in Southeast Virginia. It's been a record year for heat here and we camp year round but so far via tent. We're finally picking our 560 up from my sisters place by Redgranite, WI in a couple of weeks after purchasing last October. Even with the diffuser installed, I assume the best conditions would be to locate the camper in shade?

Jim & Selma likes this.
  3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Yes, the manual warns that there are extreme temps where the AC could be unable to keep up with the load. The manual recommends that in such cases that you find shade or put a shade structure over the camper to reduce the load that the AC needs to compensate for. If I had more time, I'd provide an exact quote from the manual, but the main thing is that you are correct.

4. Jim & Selma

Jim & Selma Novice

I made a nice diffuser/air divider which is invisible, with no holes in the ceiling. Yes invisible-see pictures.
    It measures 12” x 17”+, and separates the cold air for a full foot before it comes tumbling down onto our heads.
    It’s held in place by our tight clothesline and a single long pop rivet in the plexiglass.
    It stows away in the ceiling of our upper cubby of our 550, so it doesn’t break. I had to use longer screws and drilled 22 shells in the back and a screw + nylon turn button in front to secure it for travel.
    I’m even pretty sure it works better than the factory diffuser.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    dustinp likes this.
  5. campdude

campdude Ranger

Nice Job and I am sure it will work as the intent is the same. We elected to get the wood one from the factory and have it attached so I don't have to deal with it.

Kevin S likes this.
  6. Jim & Selma

Jim & Selma Novice

Thanks Bill… I thought I should share. It took less than an hour. Didn’t know quite where it was going when I started.
    It was a few years ago and it works great when we use the AC.
    Easy to drive off and forget about it up there, since it’s invisible. Still, it stayed in place until I caught it later and stowed it away.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    campdude likes this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Tell ya what, the diffuser is absolute genius -- I am wondering how well it would word if it were extended out even further....to actually duct the cool air to the front of the camper and possibly blowin more downward. Although airflow si restricted with every turn, and imperfection in the ducting....I suspect the airflow is too low on the AC to really do this

But even the basic OEM vent makes a huge difference....I'm spoiled by our modern conveniences. My HVAC guy said to me "Sir, you don't need a new AC .... you are asking for refrigeration..."

8. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

reported as SPAM

Kevin S likes this.