OR - Bend, Oregon

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by fpoole, Apr 28, 2013.

1. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Howdy you Oregonians...

Any suggestions on Campsites around "Bend, OR" along Hwy 97 mid-eastern side. Some look a little too much for a 1 niter...

I found La Pine and there are some others but just thought I'd check first.
    Just a one niter back from the DAM meet, heading home on a different route to check it out...

thanks..

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We've done some hiking at Paulina Lake. It is really pretty and between La Pine and Bend. I remember seeing people camped there. Haven't been there, but there is Tumalo SP too. I can look through my book later too.

3. fpoole

Ok,thanks Sarah, there is a good rock site, but no overnight camping.
    Not big deal here so you don't need to waste time looking around.
    I just thought I'd check as you know what happens... you mention you stayed at one place and someone pipes in and says "Oh, darn, you should have stayed at xxxx? site.. " heheheh...

I'm fine with La Pine, no Problem-O...

See you all next week.. apologies, but probably no science experiments this time... but I do have my eye on several for the PNW campout... it'll be the Year Of the Bubble... heheh, stay tuned...
    fun...

4. Tom Ruggles

Tom Ruggles Novice

Frank -- if you end up stopping in La Pine I highly recommend Riverview RV park. It's great for an overnighter, with a character as an owner who has some awesome antique trucks on site. Lots o'grass and big sites. No view of the river so much tho. Would be interested in your take on it if you end up stopping there.

Good trip!

5. fpoole

Great Tom or Gayle... heheh, never know who is writing...

Will take a look-see...
    Appreciate the info...
    La Pine seems to be the area for a good campsite...
    thanks...

6. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Hi, Frank. On our way south in eastern Oregon we spent one night at The Cove Palisades State Park. Very nice, clean, great shower and rest0
    room. Here's the link:

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=24

It's off US 97 outside of Culver. If you have extra time you can drove to one of the viewpoints looking down on the reservoir (the campground is actually on a bluff above the reservoir)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. fpoole

kewl, thanks... it's about 1/2 home...

I'm routing to Crater Lake so the The Cove breaks down to about the same travel time, 6hrs... routing thru Yakima.. prettier I think, especially in the mornings...

See you at the DAM site...

8. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Frank, hope it works out for you. Have a good time at the DAM gathering. We're not attending but hope to see you at Mossyrock if not before. Kathy

9. fpoole

thanks Kathy, will catch up to you both there or sooner...

I've just finished on "Gearing Up" (just ordered 2 Yeti coolers) and back-up battery getting set up tomorrow... sigh should be a simple thing right?? heheh.. then done... as in DONE!!!!...

to get out there on extended trips like you all..

See you at PNW CICO..
    and thanks all for the suggested sites... figure others can use the info too and I'll report on the one I end up at, but looking like the Palisades one..

cheers
    frank