Pasties (meat pie)

Discussion in 'Main Dishes' started by Oysterpot, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

This recipe is copied from no one. It be mine.
    OK I did use the Crisco recipe for the crust.
    The filling is all me!

10" or 12" shallow DO.

Filling
    1# ground chuck
    2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
    2 small or 1 large yellow onion
    1 meium carrot grated.
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 TBS fresh ground black pepper (or to your taste)
    you can add any other item you want to this it is yours. Most recipes found call for turnip, or rhutabega. (no thanks)

Brown meat, just as meat is loosing its pink, add all the rest of the ingredients, simmer until potatoes start to turn soft.

At this point roll out your individual clumps of pie crust to a thickness of 1/4 to 1/8 inch. Moiston the edge of one half of the crust with water. Now add a couple spoon fulls of filling to center of rolled out crust. Fold over crust and bring edges together. Pinch to seal. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Pierce with a knife vent holes in tops of pies.
    I will say here that my pasties were of the size that only 2 would fit in a 10" DO. They are normally smaller.

Place pie in DO (do not need to grease pan). Place coals to equate to 350 - 400 degrees (1 ring bottom, 2 full rings top) Bake for 1 hour, or until you smell the crust baking. At about 45 minutes peek to see if crust is browning.

These babies are delicious. Save the left over pies for lunch the next day. Eat em cold.
    Here are the photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. juliatmgllc

juliatmgllc Newbie

Thanks George--Looks really yummy!

3. Oysterpot

Great on cool nights. I made it tonight, I forgot how good they were.

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

George, those look delicious. We just had our 1st ever pasties while in Copper Harbor this past week, and they were great.

5. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

George,
    Very similar to something I make called "Mexi-Burgers"

I use ground meat - 1 lb.
    Taco Seasoning - 1 pkt
    Chopped Onions
    Place inside dough, add 1 tsp. or T (to taste) of Picante Sauce
    Fold and crimp

Bake in a a DO or reg. oven

6. Oysterpot

That sounds good as well. When I get home, I will give this recipe its own heading, so more folks will see it.

7. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

George,
    we had these in UP of MI realy good. I'd like to try yours at home and just pretend spring is here. What would you do for time and temp in an home oven?
    Thanks

8. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

That looks so gooooood i can smell it :)

9. Oysterpot

Pat,
    350 deg, and the time is any where from 20 min to 45. The temp and time for a DO will be pretty much the same as in a home oven. All you are really doing is baking the crust.

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

George,
    thanks I am going to try them.

11. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

George,
    On my Mexi-Burgers I forgot to say that I also put grated cheddar cheese inside....also you could add green chili's for more Mexican flavor.