Peach Cobbler

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Ken & Peggy, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

[​IMG]
    1st try @ peach cobbler in the dutch oven. A bit burned, but I'll let you know how it tastes...

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

We had a few of those this summer. As long as you serve it in the DO at a gathering it will get eaten (everything tastes better out of a dutch oven) :)

3. Ken & Peggy

Yeah, you're probably right Evan. I should have been checking it's progress, but the recipe sounded like it might take longer than 40 minutes so I didn't do anything except rotate the oven/lid for that long. You live and you learn...

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

We've been told (not sure if it's 100% true) that you never open the lid to your DO when cooking. Instead, wait until you can smell the cobbler - then it's done. Every time you open it, it sets the clock back 10 minutes.

5. Ken & Peggy

Interesting. I've read (I think in the Lodge book) that you should turn the oven 1/4 turn clockwise and the lid 1/4 turn counter-clockwise every 15 minutes to be sure to heat evenly. Hmmm....
    Either way, I cooked mine too long :blush:

6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Ken,

DO cooking is like making a pie crust...you start with a good recipe & then practice, practice, practice. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature but that doesn't mean there still aren't "Oops" moments... :D

Things like number, placement & types of charcoal can all affect the result. It looks like you may have had too many coals on the lid in the center? How was the bottom?

Your "1/4 turn" of the lid & oven in opposite directions every 15 minutes is a good rule of thumb for even cooking. So is Evan's "when you smell it" & "leave the lid on" rules. I do peek when it starts getting close but only once.

Don't get discouraged! It's all part of the learning curve.

:cool:

7. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Here is my critique of what I see. Sorry I can't stay out of it. I too recognize the symptoms, as I can relate to experiences.

My 1st guess is too much heat, the trick for cast iron dutch ovens is "low and slow".
    My second guess is you had coals in the middle of the lid.
    (see Dinwiddie system).
    My last guess is you let everything go too long. But I think #1 and #2 are closer to being correct.

When I get back from my stint up north, I will try to get a good post with drawings and or pictures to help with the different settup for different types of cooking with the DO.

8. Ken & Peggy

George, thanks for jumping in here. I may have had too many coals - it called for 8/20. And I did have coals in the middle of the top, as I had to get 20 of 'em on there. I will search 'Dinwiddie' to see what happens. Everyone did manage to get the crunchy, carmelized chunks down, though. I'm sure the vanilla ice cream helped...

9. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Betsey. I definitely had coals on the center of the top - sounds like this is something to be avoided. The bottom turned out fine, so my guess would be that the time was OK? Mainly too many/bad placement on top? It wasn't a problem getting it down the old pie hole, though :/