portable, foldings bicycles

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by mariusz, Aug 6, 2015.

1. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

I'm looking to buy folding bicycle,does anyone has any input and,or experience. I see more and more of them. What brand should I go with...thanks

2. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Someone on the forum does use one as they have posted pictures in the past. Maybe they can chime in?

3. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I have the older model of this:http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-20-Inch-Loop-Folding-Black/dp/B00IASZ7QG/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

For my purposes, it's what I wanted. When I was researching, you can get lighter or folds down more compactly, or has other features, but then of course cost goes up. I decided for me, the 20" tires (vs 14") was important, and price. How bulky it was in the back of the car, or how heavy, were less important. Obviously I'm not winning any races or mountain biking! It's just a bike...

5. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

It depends on what how you are going to use the bike and what your budget is. There are folding bikes that you can get for a couple of hundred dollars. I have a Dahon that I got from Amazon a couple of years ago. I like if for tooling around the campground and short rides.

http://www.amazon.com/Dahon-Eco-Folding-Bike-Brick/dp/B0067HJJRU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

You can get more expensive bikes like Bike Friday if you plan to use it for serious bike riding. As Sherry says, you are going to pay significantly more for the higher end folding bikes.

6. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Mark and Casandra, thanks for posting the link to that great thread, enjoyed it very much, isn't this forum a wonderful resource!

Here's my two cents, I love my BikeFriday. There I said it, and you know what's not so funny, the other BikeFriday owners I meet all say the same thing. Now, I've been very blessed cuz I've had 2 bikes built specifically for me, my Bruce Gordon touring bike and my BikeFriday. So what exactly does that mean, well you get measured like for a suit and so like a tailored suit ( I'm just extrapolating here, I only wear suits to weddings and funerals and they ain't tailored ) they fit perfect, so when you ride a bike built for you the experience is pure and perfect, not to be compared to an off the rack bike at all. My BikeFriday is like an extension of myself.

[​IMG]
    2009 #bikefriday at Point Hudson, Washington

[​IMG]

But Joan is right these bikes are expensive, how do you justify the cost? I got my BF for an extended cruise on our sailboat, I used it to haul supplies, we didn't have a car, it was a no brainer for us. If you do decide to get a BF try to wait until the Friday after Thanksgiving Day to order one, Black Friday is the only day you will be able to get a 10 percent discount but guess what you can only get it in black! That's how I got my black BikeFriday. After 6 years and thousands of miles it's still like the day I got it, perfect, quality in this case hasn't disappointed.

Michael

7. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Thank you so much everyone for a good advice, it's like buying comp inn..decisions... Decisions.

8. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Very cooool..

9. birder526

birder526 Novice

Good to read about your experience with Bike Friday. We have considered them in the past and think about them for the TD life. I owned a Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road touring bike which took me on many loaded tours including around the U.S.. I loved it. Have since sold it.

10. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

I think I will go with dahon...

11. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

You all saw my posts. I am nearly 3 years in and still love my bike. It has been great for every thing I have needed it for and don't see replacing it anytime soon. It has seen Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Yosemite, MossyRock, Moab, the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, and so much more. No troubles at all with it! Love that it is built in the USA too (although parts are imported...it really helps our economy in Eugene where business are struggling).

Dahons are great too. Enjoy your bike!

12. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Please accept my sincere apologies in advance for not being politically correct on this, but I'd just as soon tell it like it is as spend way too much time dancing around the edges.

We've often thought about getting folding bikes when the dog dies and we can spend some time (possibly years) in Europe. When that day comes it'll most likely be a Bike Friday (unless we buy a Moulton in Europe). You see Dahons with a lot of the glamper crowd. They are relatively inexpensive and are rarely ridden more than a few miles at a time (if that far). They are by far the best choice if you don't envision them be used for more than a hour a day, at most and certainly not daily. Anything more than that, and you'll be happier investing in a well made, well thought out bike that has stood the test of time - and Bike Friday is probably at the top of that list. It's lighter, infinitely more comfortable (unless you happen to be the one size that "one size fits all" is made for and you happen to have a cast iron butt), likely folds and unfolds far easier, has greater utility and is made by the same sorts of passionate people that make Camp Inn trailers (they know what they are doing, so you don't have to). Dahons are made for Korean women that need to ride back and forth to the grocery store every day or so and are intended for the mass market.