Power Requirements and Generators

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Jay & Valerie, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I am looking at getting a generator for some dry camping I will be doing in the future.

I know I read it somewhere but can't seem to find it...anyone know how much power the AC unit needs?

I thought I remember it was around 500W or so. Figure that plus TV, Lights, pump, etc. should all comfortably fit under 1500W but not sure.

Both Yamaha and Honda have 1600W continuous and 2000W peak power generators that are really quiet (60dB to 90dB). They weigh in at about 45lbs or so and fairly small. They can run for 5-6 hours on 1/2 load so they could be perfect for providing shore power when you are dry camping...assuming the trailer does not need that much power.

Anyone know the power requirements for a 560 with AC/TV?

2. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

The generators you mentioned will handle this just fine. I purchased a Smarter Tools AP20001 which is similar to these models and used the Yamaha engine. It has the same 1600 w continuous and 2000 watt start up. You can purchase this at Costco for half what you will pay for the Honda or Yamaha and get twice the warranty.

I also converted mine to run on not only gasoline, put propane and natural gas. So if I am camping I can run it off the propane on board and not have to carry gasoline at all.

I also confirmed with Cary that these small generators will handle to load.

Hope this helps.

3. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Thanks. Good to know these little ones can handle the load. I like that they are now daisy chaining these together as well in case you ever need more power.

My short list is
    Yamaha
    Honda
    Champion
    Smarter Tools

How long have you had the Smarter Tools? I saw that one and it looks like a good option. It is on my list but have not been able to find any long term owner reviews. As such, I am a little concerned that it was made in China as opposed to coming directly out of Japan like a Honda or Yamaha generator.

I have had bad experiences with Chinese brands before. I also deal with Chinese ODMs in my day job and some places do pretty good while others are utter crap. Unless you really, really watch these ODMs close, they will cut corners all over the place. My employer uses a production line in a Chinese ODM but we staff the line with our own employees to maintain quality because the stuff we got out when we were not there was seriously lacking.

While the motor does say Yamaha, I can't help but wonder if these were built in Yamaha factories in Japan and shipped to China or if they were built in China for Yamaha 2nd tier business and therefore might be subject to less quality control than Yamaha's manufacturing for their own branded products. I have tried to research it but not much info.

By the way, I love both Yamaha and Honda as I have owned their products nearly my entire life. I have owned dirtbikes from both companies and a number of cars from Honda and have never been let down by either brand.

4. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I have had mine for over a year. Did not even start it till I had it a month, then started it on the fist pull.

I am not sure where it was made. Costco gave me a two year warranty and Honda and Yamaha were only one year. I could buy two of these for the price of the above.

Here are the specifications.

79cc, Running Watts 1600w, Starting Watts 2000w, Rated Frequency 60H, Rated Voltage 120V, Rated Current 13.3A, Run Time 10.5hrs at 1/4 load, Wt 44 lbs, Noise Level (db) 51db @ 1/4 load, Dimensions L X W X H (in) 19.75 X 11.25 X 18.25 in

PS it does run well on propane when converted.

From the above I think this is the same engine used it the Yamaha model.

Hope this helps. Dave

5. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

I think that you probably can't go wrong with either Honda or Yamaha. The others I am not so familiar with, but the Smarter Tools with the Yamaha engine sounds promising if it's the same engine as what is in the Yamaha branded generator. I purchased a Yamaha based on my previous experience with Yamaha products, and also the fact that the Honda has an aluminum cylinder, while the Yamaha has a cast iron cylinder, which should theoretically give the Yamaha a longer engine life, although as much as I've needed mine for running either the ceramic heater, or the AC, I don't know that engine life will ever become a factor. It's also hard to argue with Honda's track record though, so I think it basically boils down to personal choice, and you'll probably be happy with what ever one you choose.

6. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016