Fantastic Fan Rain Sensing Fantastic Fan

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Jay & Valerie, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Had our first night in the rain and the fan worked exactly as expected.

About 2AM, it started to rain and the fan automatically closed right on cue.

It was a little noisy as it was closing, it did wake me up about 1/2 way through the closing process.

It was great knowing it worked as expected and that I did not need to wake up to wet bedding due to an open vent.

It did start to open after about a 1/2 hour but it was still raining. I went ahead and shut it off while closed even though it would have just closed again as soon as it realized it was still raining.

So, while a little noisy, it worked which is great.

2. Pick

Pick Novice

On our first camping trip the fantastic fan shut down while we were sitting at the galley. I started checking the extension cord and realized it would run on DC so I began checking lights ect. Finaly
    I checked the fan itself. Didn't realize it would cycle with the temp. also! I don't find the fan overly noisy when shutting down the rain is louder. Great fan.

3. Mark_inMA

Mark_inMA Novice

To me the biggest seller of the rain sensor is not so much at night.
    I can in theory close the fan assuming I hear the rain (or get damp and wake up). :blush:

The biggie is the scorching day when we decide to go see some local sight so we leave the fan on.
    But our point of interest is in a building with few windows like the Basketball Hall of Fame.
    That unexpected heavy shower comes along but we don't see or hear it. That is when the
    rain sensing fan really saves the day. It even re-starts when things dry and get hot again. :cool:

Now if the car windows had just been closed... :blush: ...or had the Fantastic Fan closer.

4. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I totally agree, this is a very important scenario and part of the value prop for the fan. However, as a sound sleeper, I would rather not have a bunch of rain dumping on me, waking me up in the middle of the night or that I am clear headed enough to wake up to the sound of rain and close the vent. Having it auto close the other night was very helpful.

Once your blankets are wet, it can be rather uncomfortable the rest of the night.

5. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have been pleased that the fan closes promptly when the rain begins or the fog settles in, but so far it has not opened back up by itself when it has dried out. I've read the directions but am unable to see what it is that I am doing wrong. Can anyone help me with this minor problem?