Replacing Tires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug & Angela, May 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Doug & Angela

Doug & Angela Novice

I've read about the importance of changing out tires more frequently than the tread wear would indicate. I have tires coming and found a mobile tire service to come to the house to swap them out and dispose of the old tires. Was wondering where others go to get their tires replaced.

Thank you! This forum is the best. I don't post much, but read a lot!

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

You don't post? You should!

I get mine from a local tire shop. Call around with the size you want --- someone will have them or get them for you.

Home tire delivery? Now there's an interesting business opportunity...

You'll need to either take your camper to them or pull the wheels off and just take them...which is what I do. This gives me a good chance to inspect and clean the brakes and bearings.

It's a pretty DIY-friendly job and doesn't require much special equipment. Jack Stands, and a jack, along with a torque wrench is about the only specialized tool you'll want to have. I hope you already have a lugnut wrench for removal.

I know some people who just use the stabilizer jacks...that would mean only the torque wrench. Personally, I like a little more stability than that.

Doing this, as an added bonus, if you haven't done this type of thing before, is not so fun on the side of a major highway with 18-wheelers passing you at 80mph.

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah likes this.
  3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

4. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

"Doing this, as an added bonus, if you haven't done this type of thing before, is not so fun on the side of a major highway with 18-wheelers passing you at 80mph."
    Yes! Did that on the interstate in Tennessee. On a Sunday! Loud! Windy! Very high Pucker Factor!
    I take my wheels off and drop them at a tire store, pick them up a few hours later.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not fun is it? :)

I've been lucky not to have a tire blow, but I've had breakdowns with a trailer, and it was terrifying. When I was learning to drive, the instructor was rather strict about pulling over a lane when you passed a stopped car, as were my parents. I don't think that is emphasized anymore.

Not long ago, I pulled to he left lane for a breakdown, and an @#$ decided to use that as an opportunity to pass me....on the right. Two things wrong there. <- Passing side / Sui side -->

I understand why the police lobbied so heavily for laws requiring it for them...why not for everyone, I don't know.