Resetting For The Next Trip.

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Tour 931, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

In the Army we would reset for the next operation immediately after returning. I still do that with my trailer and found that when I do I'm always prepared. It also means when I get somewhere I will most likely have everything I need. Packing the trailer at the last minute makes me forget items.

Anyone else do this?

2. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Interesting question. I rent a garage space from a friend and have some shelves there for storing bulky items like my clam shelter, chairs, etc. I struggle with how much to bring home versus leaving there. Obviously the more that you can store in the trailer the quicker you can hit the road. I do have to pack food and clothes each trip for sure. Eating well, especially while camping/hiking is a priority for me. So planning our meals and shopping just before leaving so everything is as fresh as possible is key to a successful weekend trip. We are fortunate to have really good grocery stores and other outlets for prepared food here in the Baltimore area. Where and how I will be camping will dictate which other items to bring. If I have shore power, I'll bring a West Marine heater (if it's cold enough to justify it) and leave my external batteries. I've always got a bunch of lights that I use which are rechargeable. Organizing and recharging these can be done between trips. My methods could certainly be streamlined to go quicker but I haven't forgotten any major items yet (except for beer on the last trip, that required a one hour beer run from the camp site, arg). What things do you replenish and rest between trips? And what things do you have to organize and pack at the last moment for each trip?

Tour 931 likes this.
  3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

By resetting I mean I just check to make sure flash nine thirty one is stocked with toilet paper.:)

Okay so there is more to the list like making sure everything is put back in place. That flashlight I stuck in my pocket on the last night's run to the restroom gets put back in it's proper place. Just like the flashlight, the stove striker is accounted for as is the basic kitchen stuff like seasoning. Speaking of the kitchen that is not my domain. I'm the Captain/Dishwasher and the Navigator/Head Chef takes care of that.

I will take the dishes out and put them in the dishwasher at home so they also gets sanitized. Bedding is laundered and replaced. I don't carry a full set of clothes but I do leave basic underwear and socks inside.

The tool kit is rechecked and everything is accounted for.

4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

That is one thing I like about camping with a trailer. My Camper-Inn isn't setup all the way but my Little Guy had about everything I ever needed. Things like wire ties, safety pins, and clothes pins never seem to get inside the trailer at the last minute. But resetting can take care of a lot of small things like that.

Jenn likes this.