Rip Off?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim Carter, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Saw this today on FB and after a quick look, it looks a little too close to Camp-Inn

Security Check Required

What does the group think?

Jim

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Well, if you mean did they copy CI? My opinion is no. At least not any differently than how CI also got inspiration from the 40s teardrop campers. There are dozens of different teardrop style manufacturers. Which manufacturer someone chooses to purchase from is based on many factors. For me for example, I shortlisted about 5 manufacturers, then narrowed it to 3 before finally deciding on a CI.

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

It does resemble a CI somewhat, but in my opinion it looks different enough. Although, even if it were a rip-off, I suspect that Camp-Inm wouldn’t care too much. They have a reputation of helping out the small builders. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Randy and Tour 931 like this.
  4. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

I think it is hard to tell, although there are some details that seem definitively CampInn like.

The interesting thing for me is whether they should have attempted to distinguish their design a bit more from the CampInn. I have so much trust for CampInn and Cary and Craig, and the decades of experience and experimentation they have with materials and build practice. Those decades of experience, experimentation, and design improvements have a huge value in terms of the refinement of the product and the quality of service and reliability. It seems a difficult sell for a new manufacturer with a product that is so similar to the Campinn.

5. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

The one thing that is interesting is the use of anodized aluminum. Looks like it only has one door though, wouldn't like that.

Randy

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Jim,

Thanks for looking out for us!

Michael is someone we know and he and his wife have even been to the Camp-Inn Camp Outt. Early on, I believe he did purchase some parts from us. He does nice work and his sales are doing well. But his design, although similar in some aspects to ours, is different.

There have only been 2 "builders" who have made and tried to sell direct knockoffs of our product. One was in Illinois, the other was out West. Neither succeeded.

Betsey

schluns likes this.
  7. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Not bad, but would take campinn anyday

8. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Check... regal eagle teardrop camper... on you tube,

9. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I just took a closer look and the main similarity seems to be basic shape. After that they do not seem to have much in common with the CI as far as features & options.

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

My Little Guy trailer was build from Popular Mechanics plans from right after WWII.