Securing your trailer

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Jay & Valerie, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Just picked up the Trimax Chock/Lock for the wheel.

Not sure how well it works but figure it adds a layer of security while parked.

I want to order the Proven Technologies Coupler lock next. I know nothing can prevent a determined thief, but I am hoping by locking the wheel and the coupler/safety chains, it will be enough of a deterrent for them to move along to an easier target.

I heard about iTraq which could be yet another option to help keep our rigs secure from dirtbag thugs.

will post some pics once I get all the pieces together...heck probably turn it into a blog post and youtube review.

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I saw the Krok Lock video on you tube and thought it looked like the best I had seen but don't find any place that sells them. Then I see the Trailer Gator but it seems kind of flimsy and still has a padlock instead of a lock mechanism built in.

3. Jay & Valerie

I saw both those videos. The demo of trying to get into it seemed to lack any effort.

The best coupler locks I have seen are the Megahitch, Proven Industries and AMPlock.

I like the Proven Industries the best because it allows you to secure the safety chains as well.

When you think about the purpose of a safety chain, it is to keep the trailer attached to your vehicle in case it comes off the hitch. If you shorten the chain enough, you could tow the trailer away quite easy by the chains themsleves. At least long enough to get it to a more quiet area where you could spend time removing a coupler lock.

If the chains are locked up as well, then you can't just tow it off.

Therefore, I will likely pick up the Proven Industries one.

However, what I haven't seen is how these locks hold up to drilling. If they are hardened locks that don't use standard key configuration, it may be a good option.

4. Jay & Valerie

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    LisaNKevin likes this.
  5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Nice write-up Jay_n_Valerie.

6. pbaker2225

Thank you for all your research and work. I had seen this proven industries and considered it. when I saw the chains all tied up like that I thought, a thief would probably have extra chains that he could just loop through the tied up chains and haul it off anyway. You are right, there is always a way. I wondered if we shouldn't just put those carabiner clips on the other end of our chains and remove them entirely when not in use. I thought it would be more secure to have a lock that covered the latch mechanism on the tongue.
    You are right. In the videos they don't put as much effort into breaking the lock they are selling as they do the competitors.
    I'm not comfortable at all leaving my trailer with the crappy lock I have. In fact it is such a joke I haven't even had it on the trailer. I would be interested if you can get a group price on this one.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your information on the wheel lock also. If we change our wheels on the trailer would we be able to use one that covered the lug nuts also? With the clamp I have they could just remove the wheel and put on another one.

7. Jay & Valerie

I am reconfirming the price on the Proven Industries lock along with the logistics on how to order.

I will let you know what I find out.

8. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Removable chains would be a bad idea. Those carabiners would be an easy point of failure if there is any serious jerking of the chains should the trailer decouple while driving.

We've used a simple combination lock to make the chains unusable, though we haven't bothered with doing that since getting the wheel boot lock. They won't get far with that, chains or not.

The reality is that if four big burly guys come by with a flatbed truck the trailer will be gone in two minutes flat, regardless of the level of security.

9. Jay & Valerie

Certainly no solution is perfect.

Yes, 4 guys and a flatbed could haul it off. However, flatbed trucks and 4 guys are not necessarily the common method used by thieves.

Most are looking for quick, easy targets. getting 4 guys and a flatbed into a campground would be somewhat suspicious. Watching them wench a trailer onto the flatbed would be even more so.

However, a truck that could pull into a site and take off in a minute or two could go unnoticed. Therefore, the goal is to make it harder on that type of thug. A cheap lock doesn't do much but something like this could slow them down enough that they would choose an easier target. At least, that is what I am shooting for with this lock and a wheel lock.

10. Jay & Valerie

FYI, Group Buy price is $150 so a savings of $45.00 off MSRP.

send me a PM if you would like the promo code. I promised him I would not blast it all over the internet.

11. pbaker2225

Thanks Jay, I e-mailed Ron and have ordered my lock. He made it very easy. Just sent me an invoice and I paid with Pay Pal. Very happy to get a quality lock at a discount. I had looked at this lock before and didn't order because of the price. Ron says they have a wheel locking chock coming out late next year. Will be interesting to see if they are able to design something that will work on our trailers that doesn't weigh 40 pounds.

12. Jay & Valerie

Yep, he emailed me as well and said he had a wheel lock coming. Be interesting to see it when it's done.

I will ask him if I borrow one for a review one for the blog. Would be good to compare it to the one I am currently using.

13. birder526

birder526 Novice

Good information, Jay. Thank you. We use a combination of security devices and thankfully, we've had no issues. And great advice about knowing your camp neighbors. We free camp a lot, so having several locks is important to us.

14. Jay & Valerie

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  15. pbaker2225

I talked to Ron and ordered my lock. I've been gone for a couple of weeks and it was waiting for me when I got home. Very well made. I was surprised at the weight of it. I thought it might take a while to get used to putting it on but it isn't difficult. the only problem is the keys are so new and sharp that they are hard to pull out of the lock. They should wear in.
    Thanks Jay for getting this information and the discount. I think I will feel a little better about leaving my trailer unattended.

16. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Yes indeed! The at one time Dewey crew and now the Dizzy crew highly recommend these locks...

[​IMG]

...used on both trailers, none stolen, (yet) we are 100% satisfied.

Michael

17. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I was looking at those a long time ago, but figure, just take the tire off..

So went with dish that goes over the lug nuts... sort of a PITA to put on and take off, clunky, but seems to do the job...

[​IMG]

but clunky...

18. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Well sure you're right Frank the wheel can be taken off but now what? I always think in terms of slowing an opportunist down, if yours is too much trouble he/she will steel someone else's trailer. Now he could put his own spare on the trailer if it fits and roll until he realizes there's another chock lock on the other wheel. Oops, no more spares to put on, time to split! These Trimax chock locks come in matched key pairs, that's what we have and recommend.
    They are relatively light and compact so a breeze to stow and they go on easy so they get used, we put them on after the trailer gets leveled, not sometimes every time.

Michael

19. Jay & Valerie

If you are using locking lug nuts, that makes it more difficult for them to get the wheel off in the first place.

20. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Oh, the hours and hours of discussion on this subject. We use the Trimax and something to lock the hitch bit (yes, I'm that technical-jargon challenged. So much so, you wouldn't believe.) It works just fine so far and we've been cross country multiple times.

As the saying goes, if someone wants it enough, nothing will stand it their way - but why make it easy? Just be cognizant of your surroundings and don't park it in East Oakland, Ca...day or night!

Camp on,

Sue (born in East Oakland) and Jim (San Lorenzo country boy)