Shenandoah National Park, Virginia - Loft Mtn. campground

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Ken & Peggy, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We spent 9 days in Shenandoah NP this month, our first time visiting the park, and it was great! The park basically follows the Blue Ridge Mtns., with Skyline Drive snaking it's way along the ridge for 105 miles from one end of the park to the other. Loft Mountain campground is about 25 miles into the park from the southern entrance - and at this time of year it's all first come first served camping. They have a very nice bathroom with hot & cold running water and flush toilets, something we haven't seen in National Park campgrounds. There's a camp store about a mile away, with great bathroom/shower facilities. The store itself has much of what you need - firewood, ice, beer, blah blah blah.

With over 500 miles of trails to hike, and 75 overlooks along the length of Skyline Drive, there's more than enough to keep the outdoors oriented camper occupied. There are several lodges in the park, with great dining rooms and good food.

We pulled in to our campground when we arrived and were immediately greeted by a black bear crossing the road right in front of us. Big treat. Deer were plentiful - too plentiful, but only because one ran into our truck a couple of years ago and I'm still not over it (I only THOUGHT I was).

The Appalachian Trail pretty much follows the ridge for most of the park, and was only about 150 yards from our site. We hiked quite a bit of it, along with many of the intersecting trails in the park. There are many hikes to summits, and many of those with gorgeous 360 degree views!

We couldn't have had better weather - highs in the mid 70's and lows in the mid 40's. Perfect for sleeping with the screens in and under the down comforter. This was our first trip with the Dometic/Solar setup and it went well.

Colors were a bit muted compared to better years from what we hear, but they got better every day we were there. Seems it's that way over much of the Eastern US this year with the warmer, drier fall.

If you've not been, we'd highly recommend a visit - it is a beautiful park in a beautiful, historic part of the country.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Shenandoah NP is a beautiful place. My wife went to school at Virginia Tech and mainly chose it from her family coming to the park for vacations from New York. We camped at Big Meadows back in our tent days. My daughter got to help the rangers scare a black bear out of the campground, but the scary part of the trip was the skunk who walked underneath my chair while I was sitting by the campfire late one night. Is that last picture at Hawksbill Mtn.? If it is, we saw some peregrine falcons there on that trip. It is on our to do list again someday with our Camp Inn.

Tom & Diana P and Ken & Peggy like this.
  3. Ken & Peggy

Wow! It was indeed Hawksbill - what an eye, and just as impressive - what a memory! No obvious falcons this day, but several buzzards soaring about. I hope you make it back there soon.

4. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Ken & Peggy,

Thank you for sharing the great pictures. I have such fond memories camping in that area during my undergrad yrs. in college. Kyle and I would take the kids tent camping up there every chance we got.
    It's time to go back!

Deb

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  5. Ken & Peggy

It's definitely a place we'd visit regularly if it were a few hundred miles closer!

6. Last night as I was typing my response to you, my wife walked by me on the computer and said we have to go back there soon when she saw the pictures. Like I said she went to Virginia Tech so she loves the area. It is just far enough away that we don't get up there up often. We can go to the mountains of NC so much easier from here in SC.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  7. Ken & Peggy

From what I've seen of the NC mountains, they're just as impressive. Our Illinois mountains aren't quite the same...

RollingRob likes this.
  8. TroutBum

TroutBum Novice

We were on Skyline Drive in June - just up the road at Big Meadow Campground. It was our first official "family" outing, with all 4 of us in the CI. We had an amazing experience as well. Tons of hiking trails, waterfalls, and beautiful weather (even the kids wanted to stay for a few more days).

Luray caverns aren't far away if you're looking for a place to keep COOL one day in the summer - also a nice little town with shops to grab brunch / sandwich. The Shenandoah River is gorgeous, and offers some amazing smallmouth fishing.

RollingRob likes this.
  9. NH Wanderlust

NH Wanderlust Junior Ranger Donating Member

You mean you haven't hiked up to the top of Mount Carmel or Mount Polaski! ;-) Coming from NH I always got a giggle whenever I drove by.

Ken & Peggy and RollingRob like this.
  10. Craig

Craig Newbie

11. Craig

Craig Newbie

I was there a few years ago, backpacking on the AT with a buddy. Little native brook trout in the small streams were beautiful!

Ken & Peggy likes this.