Sink strainer

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by ajs777, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

We found a metal strainer at WalMart for about a buck and a half. Lays over the drain very flat with a couple things on the bottom to bend out and put in the drain. We do not use those tabs and have had no problems.

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I've got you beat!! We bought a collapsible dish drainer, so we don't even need the dish drying mat!! (and I don't dry dishes any more!!!)

Fozzils Collapsible Dish Strainer : Cabela's

3. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

We just found sink strainer in a local kitchen store. They come as a set of 2. The smallest (1 1/4 inch) fits the CampInn sink perfectly! Seems like it was made for just that sink! It catches everything. The brand was RSVP International Endurance Mesh Sink Strainers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Ken & Peggy and SethB like this.
  4. In my seemingly never-ending quest to tweak, fix and upgrade the trailer before the snows fly, and inspired by pouring over old posts like this one, I found this:

Mtsooning 2Pcs Kitchen Sink Strainer Drainer, 3 Inch Stainless Steel Mesh Sink Drain Cover Stopper for Kitchen Basin Bath Basket Filter Replacement

(This is the amzon.com product description. For some reason I can't get the link to attach correctly.)

Fits like it's supposed to. Not over-sized. The mesh is shallow enough to need no modification, and robust enough to withstand all the heavy crap we tend to throw in the sink at the last minute before we hit the road.

View attachment upload_2023-11-4_8-18-1.jpeg

View attachment upload_2023-11-4_8-18-13.jpeg

Comes in a set of two, which is good because I will likely lose one over time.

Even though we wash dishes in a collapsible sink on the picnic table, we end up pouring the strained (which can be a pain) water down the sink. Standard campground etiquette and LNT principles both dictate not tossing foody bits or dish water into the bushes or the fire pit for obvious reasons. And sending the bits down the drain is just asking asking for another kind of trouble.

Despite its diminutive and simple design and purpose, this is definitely in my "Top 20" of trailering necessities.

If your sink happens to have a drain dia and configuration different from my 2018 3" (I can't imagine why it would) Amazon.ca offers a number of different sizes that the .com site, for some reason, doesn't:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07234NCJQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023