Sleep sack

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Ladymc, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Does anyone here use a sleep sack (or two) instead of sheets? We're finding that tucking the sheets in is too difficult because the mattress fits very snugly. We have to pick it up, pull it up onto the couch, climb in, tuck in the sheets that are sewn together at the bottom and then pull up to the top of the mattress, slid it down, tuck it...lots of effort for us older folks.

So I found sleep sacks at Bed Bath & Beyond and thought...hmmmm...but since they're $29.99 each I thought I'd ask first. They look like they'd be easy to throw up on the mattress and then just throw a blanket over the top and no tucking required. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We use a duvet and I only 'tuck' the fitted sheet in. We have extra blankets if needed. We also have our regular 3/4-season sleeping bags we throw in if we think we'll need them. Haven't been out in that kind of wether yet. For our duvets, we always buy the comforter one size larger than the bed (except for twin beds) and stuff that inside the duvet for the size bed. I.e. King comforter in Quen duvet. Find it warmer and your feathers (even if the are box-stitched) won't migrate as much.

3. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

That would be too hot for us and I don't want to tuck ANYTHING. It's REALLY hard for us....I've heard of the sleeep sacks for people to take into hotel rooms instead of sleeping on the hotel sheets. I'm thinking I'm going for it.

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I had a sleep sack and 2 regular, not mummy bags obviously, zipped together form about the same thing. Sleep sack (Camping World) worked well, just got tired of trying to velcro the sheet in it when cleaning. also not warm enough.
    Switched, finally, to a fitted bottom sheet and a 650 Down quilt w/Duvet and it works the best, but have to crawl in to tuck in fitted bottom sheet. Then just the Duvet (and A-hem, a heating pad) gets cold up here...

5. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Many people use sleep sacks on boats for the same reasons - there is a brand sold specifically for boats that are shaped for the v-berth.
    We prefer the bottom sheet and duvet arrangement. First -we are too tall for sleep sacks! Second, we like the fluffy duvet for warmth, but can kick out if too warm.

6. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Jenn,
    The BBB sleep sacks do look roomy and that's why I got the idea. We're 5'3" & 5'2" and sleep with only a sheet in the Texas heat and occasionally will pull up a blanket. We have a blanket we bought at Cabela's (to match the van!) and it's very warm - looks sorta like an Adirondack horse blanket. Very warm. So I'm thinking the 2 sacks will work for us. I'll have to wait a bit to purchase them tho...we have a wedding to get through. So hang on for a report if you can wait that long.

7. Mick'nSarah

We just got one from Ikea for my son. The quality seems good, the fabric seems thick (we haven't seen feathers coming out), and the price was right. I had a couple of others laying around here that I used for ours, but I may be back in the market (I have one I am ready to retire in the house!). Ikea also has featherless versions. Not sure if there is one close to you. If no, I would check out a Bed, Bath and Beyond or something like that. I also got my duvet and sheets through Ikea for the trailer.

I wish I could only sleep in a sheet...it is way too chilly up here (nights are still in the low-mid 30s), and the wet makes it feel even colder. Our philosophy though...if you can't do it in the rain, you are not going to get anything done (even tried to mow our jungle in the rain today...the weather guy said it was supposed to be sunny...hrumph).

8. fpoole

Yah, I hear that... get a heating pad... apparently they are selling like hot cakes. have to have power although some say no.. but I've drained a battery at about 3am but ran Christmas tree lites (LEDs) too.. but the pad, mattress pad, bottom sheet and a 650 down w/duvet, works perfectly .. to hot kick it back and turn down the pad... not heavy either
    I got my mine at Bath & Beyond.. 650 fill and duvet. so far, the best set up I've come across..

HTH

9. Mick'nSarah

Jenn, I was just thinking too, Ikea also has different weights, so if you want one that is really heavy, they have it, or if you want something on the slightly lighter side, you can go there. The lads is one of the heaviest ones they had. We also got one for his room that came with 2 thicknesses that snap together so you have a summer weight and a winter weight. It is not down, but a synthetic. I prefer down myself though. That is one other option.

10. Mick'nSarah

We have never slept with heating pads, so I wonder how that would work? My husband sleeps much warmer than I do, and I am wondering if it might be too hot for him. Maybe have it to take the initial edge off...although I found pulling the covers back and turning on the furnace warmed the bed up too.

We are finding that we may need a pad (the mattress is just a little too hard for Mick's new hips). I have heard folks mention memory foam, but many said it was really hard when it got cold. I am thinking about one of the gel pads from Costco. We have them on our beds at home. Not sure if that 2" would have us banging our feet on the bottom of the cabinets. Anyone had trouble with that?

11. fpoole

2"Mem foam, i use that and seems to work fine. Don't notice any difference if cold as I have a heater and the heating pad...
    Turn on the pad about 30 min, then 10 before sleep time, turn on the Blast furnace... 5 minutes later, a hot house and the pad keeps it warm for the rest of the night. Thermostat-ed, so just turn it down to about 1/3 or 1/2 way.

12. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Linda, we do not make up our bed with sheets. I have some pics (6/2/10)in the photo galley. The cover on our mattress is from the folling website. http://www.slipcovershop.com/Product_List/fitted_mattress_slipcover.asp

It is a heavy grade upholstery material made up like a fitted bottom sheet. It works well for us. We can easily brush off "sheltie" hair and anything else.

We use sleeping bags if cold weather.

I made some sleep sacks for more moderate weather. I took a couple of flat sheets folded in half (full mattress size or whate ever fits) and sewed the bottom and up about 10-12" on the side - just enough to keep a pocket for feet and the rest is open so it is very flexible. One set is out of flannel and one set cool cotton for hot nights.

In the morning they fold up and go on the shelf - very slick.

I have to rest during the day and it is nice to lay down on the upholstery and not feel like I am going to bed.

And to top it off we like the look.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  13. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Pat, I like your thinking. My wife, too, must rest during the day. I have bookmarked the website you inserted. When I have a chance we will discuss it. Thanks alot, Steve

14. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Well Sarah, if it ain't the cold, wet and snow it's the dry heat and fires in Texas!

15. Mick'nSarah

We get fires up here in the summer. You would think 9 months of rain would help, but certain parts if our state are very dry, and they struggle. It is hard to think that summer is still roughly 4 months off. I am ready to dry out a bit. I am not ready for the heat. We can get up over 100, usually in August, and we tend to hide out anywhere we can find air conditioning (movies, malls, etc) or water (fountains, pools, beach, etc). Soon!

16. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Oregon & heat does NOT compute! But I'll take your word for it! CAN get over 100...that's funny! DO always get over a 100 is what it's like here - 104-5...Air Conditioning is a necessity. We're prayin' for rain - big dry country with burn bans everywhere and the idiot that came into the campground next to us a few days ago had a 3 ft. flame going in his grill, heating up his charcoal - and he went inside his RV...I watched the fire outside my window (while sitting in the Air Conditioning) to make sure it didn't catch us all on fire...!

17. mick719

mick719 Newbie

Have you gotten a chance to try the gel pad? Thanks.

18. Mick'nSarah

I bought it, but we haven't put it in yet. Will let you know when we do. I want to give it time to air out before I put it in the trailer since it has that odor.

Cheers!

19. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Wow! I really like that idea! And of COURSE I can make my own sleep sacks! DUH! So much cheaper than buying them at Bed, Bath & Beyond...what color did you get for the mattress cover? I'm looking at the beige to match the sofa, but I'd like some color too...but Sheltie hair makes me lean towards the beige....and you? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  20. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

we got the lic. plate pattern - seemed right for the tear.