Solar Hookup Solar Hookup Questions

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by trishanne, Sep 12, 2015.

1. trishanne

trishanne Newbie

I am in the process of ordering a 560 and would be very appreciative of any info on how the solar hookup works. Are there solar panels you can buy and use without the solar hookup provided by Camp-Inn or is the solar hookup option the only way to utilize solar power on a CI? Brands/product names would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Do a search for Solar Panels in the search box - there is quite a bit of discussion out there already - I don't have solar, but was checking into it and found some of the discussion and ideas interesting.

Enjoy your day.

Bob

3. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

I am sure there is a way, however when CI installs the solar hook up it make setup a breeze. We purchase a Zamp solar panel exterior plug that CI installed for us it does not have the solar controller just the exterior plug. The Zamp solar panel (120Watt) that we purchased has a solar controller already installed that way we can use it for other things if needed. You can do it either way..

RollingRob likes this.
  4. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Ditto on the Zamp Solar set up. We plan to have CI install the plug only since Zamp Solar sells panels with state of the art solar controller all ready part of the package. Solar dealz has the best customer service and inventory. They are currently back ordered, but should be resolved soon. Good news is that within the next 3 months, they will be up and running for all USA manufacturing and no more China imports. Hope this helps.

Neil Barr likes this.
  5. birder526

birder526 Novice

We have Renogy 100 watt portable solar panels. We had CI put in the solar controller, but are now bypassing it and using the panel's controller. We're happy doing this directly from the panels. We can see the amps and volts being used/generated. Works great!

6. trishanne

trishanne Newbie

Thank you all for your replies!
    It sounds like the CI installed connection is helpful, but trailer controller not necessary. Am I getting that right?

7. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Yes. You can order the trailer with just the solar connection or with tbe CI solar hookup with solar controller. I think that if you wan t just the solar connection best if you provide them with the connection for them to Install it to make sure it matches the panel you have or will purchase. Doing it this way does require you to do some homework ahead of time and decide on your panel a head of time to m.ake sure the two are compatiable. For example I decided on a ZAMP panel ordered the trailer plug before I ordered the panel and sent the plug to CI for my build, then purchased my panel later ...R

8. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Correct. Especially if you go with a panel that already has a controller on it. Zamp Solar, mentioned many times in this thread, comes with controller. CampInn is familiar with Zamp and Zamp is familiar with Cary at CampInn. Hope this helps.

9. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

I also am interested in the CI solar option. I have a Goal Zero generator and 2 of their 30 watt solar panels. I'm not clear as to how I can connect the solar panels directly to the trailer. I do know I can order a 12V adaptor if necessary. Anybody familiar with Goal Zero and their connection capabilities with CI? Thanks much.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

There are lots of solar options available. I settled on this one.
    The panel produces 5 amps which is 1/10 the capacity of the battery (which is good,1o many amps would stress the battery)
    This panel is very thin and flexible. Costs $200 with shipping on Ebay. Flexcharge Controller costs $70. For $270 I am off the grid. I love it - no problems in clouds or overhead trees or both combined. Never had to resort to other energy other than solar all season (30 nights camping).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KbTwLJc6XA

I use ice and a cooler.

I added up the draw of all my electrical needs and the ability of the panel to produce not only on a sunny day, but also on a cloudy day under trees.

One other factor on battery power is temp. My battery is rated for 55 amps at a temp of 77F. At 20F it may only produce 25 amps. Of course you wont actually drain your battery that low so I calculate actual useable amps. My battery came with a discharge rate document (pdf) that shows the discharge rates for various loads and temps. It is a very useful document to keep an eye our for when purchasing a battery.

Cosmo

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  11. trishanne

trishanne Newbie

Thanks Cosmo,
    I looked at the video-- got the name of the controller, but exactly which solar panel is that one?
    Trish

12. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

I bought a 30w MicroSolar panel from Amazon for $80 and has a controller which plugs directly into any 12v plug on our tear. If it is sunny out it keeps the battery topped up just fine. It is compact and thin enough to store easily. Love the ease of use.

13. Kelly

Kelly Novice

I use Goal Zero panels. I've posted a few times about my experience with connecting them. If you want to have a look at those postings, I suggest doing a search using the terms "Energy Independence: Goal Zero" (or something along those lines). There is a posting on July 17, 2013 that addresses wiring the panels.

Hope that helps.

14. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

I now have my new 560 Ultra that came wired with the CI "solar hookup". It's a Morningstar SS-10-12V controller that has a female rounded 3 prong "outlet" on the side of the trailer. I even received a male 3 prong plug alone.
    My problem is that I have Goal Zero solar panels that have 8mm wiring and a much smaller end plug, primarily to connect to their generators of which I have one.
    Has anyone attempted to "cut and connect" the MS plug with the 8mm GZ wiring?
    I can't seem to find anyone that can help including Morningstar and Goa Zero which I find odd and well as frustrating. Goal Zero did send me a short 8mm female cigarette
    lighter adaptor cord which I found amusing. Don't know how many folks out there have the CI solar option but I would think this is a common problem since CI doesn't offer solar panels.

15. birder526

birder526 Novice

We have the CI solar connector and use Renogy 100 watt portable solar panels. I will show your message to my husband and see if he can help. We are plugged into it with a cigarette lighter plug. All is well. We'll get back to you!

16. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Below is the link to the post on how Kelly wired the Goal Zero solar panels for the solar option installed by Camp Inn. It is the 5th post on the page.

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=30835&page=6

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  17. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hopefully Joan's link will help. Michael said he would need to see it before offering advice. Good luck!

18. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Thanks for the suggestions. I had an attic fan installed last year. I'm just going to stop by and have those folks take care of it. They do solar as well. Just didn't think this would be that big of an ordeal but Morningstar, Goal Zero and CI couldn't offer a solution.

19. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hope you're on your way to a quick resolution!

20. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

FYI. For $15 was able to have my solar wiring connections completed at a RV repair & accessory place. Discovered after talking with Morningstar that they don't supply the male or female connections to their controllers. They say there are hundreds of different options so it's not surprising that this can be a challenge. I must have missed this conversation during my CI orientation but with a blizzard raging outside at the time I had other things on my mind.