Follow Up Spring Fling - Homebuilt Tears

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by Evan, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

We were the only Camp-Inn there, and I think there was only one other manufactured trailer (a Cozy Cruizer). All the rest were homebuilts of various age and quality. There are two guys there - Ed and Danny - who are both semi-retired cabinet makers. Ed has made 43 tears, and Danny has done 3 - absolutely beautiful woodwork. Here are some pictures of a couple of Ed's trailers:

[​IMG]
    This is Ed's personal trailer. Check out the brushed aluminum finish. Somehow it doesn't seem to be affected by age or weather.

[​IMG]
    This is another one of Ed's. Beautiful wood grain pattern on the sides.
    I didn't get any photos of his cabins or galleys - that is where his woodwork shines.
    [​IMG]
    And of course, if you are really cool, you've got a classic car to tow your tear.
    We're gonna have to wait a long time until our 2007 Honda CR-V becomes a classic, because I'm not about to give up my nav system or the AC.

If you really want a classic, here's an original 1947 - built from the Popular Mechanic plans.
    [​IMG]
    The stove pipe was for the original coal burning stove/heater.
    [​IMG]
    The coal burning stove was replaced with something a bit more modern.

Here's one for the wishlist - can we get a boat option, Craig?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As much as I appreciate someone else's classic, I'll take my Camp-Inn any day.

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Here's one other homebuilt that I was impressed by.

[​IMG]

This guy (pictured left) built his trailer to match his tow vehicle's 'beefy' look. It is his first and only build.
    Because he's only going to do it once, he has obviously put a lot of research and thought into every part of the build.
    Note the solar panel, and the magnetic door stopper and the very sturdy hitch wheel unit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I especially like his slanted and padded headboard (with storage behind). We've been spoiled by the 560 couch, and this is the only other tear I've seen that looks like you could sit comfortably in it.