Update The Aluminum Falcon Is Home

Discussion in 'Announcements & Build Journals' started by Scottie_T, May 3, 2016.

1. Scottie_T

Scottie_T Newbie

Our 560 Ultra is home. We had it shipped to a family members' house in the Seattle area in late April. Lucky for us, we received a golden opportunity to drive up a vehicle that could tow it (for the company my wife works for); so we took advantage of that and did a one way drive north to our home in Alaska.

2,510 miles in 4.5 days. Tiring trip, but hard to beat a trip north on the Alaska Highway. We saw a lot of wildlife along the way, and a lot of parks & wild areas that I'd love to go back and visit. One of these days, I'll drive it without a set schedule, I hope.

Most private campgrounds and provincial parks don't open until May 1st, so our camping options were limited, but not a significant problem.

Thanks to everyone at Camp Inn. We are so happy with our camper, and I'm so impressed by all the little details. And thanks to everyone in the forum, I've read many informative posts that helped along the way.

We've been dreaming about a 560 Ultra for two years, and started the purchase process last fall. It was worth the wait. Now it's time to get out camping.

2. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Congrats and enjoy!!!! We just picked up our 560 last week in Necedah and got the Grand tour by Cary. Our Boba Fett is now washed and safely parked in our garage. Happy camping and safe travels to you.

PS - Like the Star Wars reference... Very Cool

3. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

Congratulations! You've got plenty of wild, beautiful country to absolutely enjoy your new 560! I'm envious because Alaska is my dream/bucket list trip that I want to make with our 560....it will be quite a drive from Texas!

I see your map shows you are near Anchorage....and Whittier (which got me to studying that interesting little town & it's history). I'm curious....how many months of the year would you consider "camping weather" for your 560 up there? Please post often on the forum & share your adventures with us! I'd love to see photos of your CI in the "wild"!

Casandra

4. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy it and what a wonderful part of the country to be in for camping.

5. Congratulations and what a first trip.

6. Scottie_T

Scottie_T Newbie

Hi Casandra -

May - September is reasonable camping weather. However, many of the campgrounds don't officially open until Memorial Day weekend in late May (or just before). We actually want to go camping this weekend, but very few campgrounds are officially open (some may be available without services).

Early May and late September are variable, and may not be ideal (wet & cold). It depends on the year and weather patterns.

Scottie

7. Scottie_T

Scottie_T Newbie

Boba Fett is a good name too. Wish we could have made the trip all the way to WI, but that would have made for a very long road trip.

8. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Long trip indeed. We covered the Necedah to Houston part, which is 1,300 miles in 4 days, a leisurely trip compared to yours.

I thought your name of "The Aluminum Falcon" was brilliant and of course liked the Star Wars reference.

Safe travels and happy camping.

9. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Way to go, Scottie! A fantastic maiden voyage if ever there was one. Jim and I did a touch and run (cruise) visit to Alaska and immediately fell under it's spell from the little we saw. Want very much to make the trip up there in Spamalot some day, but a pair of dazzling urbanites going solo in the great wilderness is asking for it. Maybe we should get a convoy of Camp Inns going at the same time so we can circle the TDs if need be.

Circles are excellent for pot-lucks, yarn spinning and wine binges. Just saying....

Back to it - congrats on your baby TD, "The Aluminum Falcon" (love it).

So, did you manage the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs?

Camp On,

Sue and Jim

10. JeremyB

JeremyB Junior Ranger Donating Member

Congrats!! Can't wait to get ours as well. Love the nickname!

11. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

I am LOVING the idea of a CampInn Convoy Cruisin' Alaska!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure we'd all be in good hands with Scottie & the Aluminum Falcon leading the way! When do we leave?!?!? I'll start packing!
    Casandra

birder526 likes this.