Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by jfocallag, Apr 7, 2013.

1. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

The CI manual says that the tire pressure for the camper should be between 28 and 32. However, last year when I was having the bearings checked, the tire place inflated them to 40 and said that I would get better mileage. Another article that I was reading about towing said that you should inflate them to the maximum cold pressure which is listed at 50.

What pressure do you inflate your tires to?

Also, the article I read said to increase the tire pressure for the rear tires of the tow vehicle. Do any of you do this?

Thanks

2. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Joan I guess we will wait for Cary or Craig to answer this one. :)

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Joan,

This is a often hotly debated subject. Yes, the tire guy is correct that higher tire pressure on a trailer could show better mileage returns. But, the trailer will ride much rougher. I have other customers who are more concerned about the ride smoothness of the trailer and lower their tire pressures to about 24psi. For a lightly loaded trailer this can work also.

Inflating to the maximum inflation pressure is illogical. That is the highest pressure you can safely inflate the tire too without damage to the tire. Tire pressure is based on the weight applied to it. Your trailer has a 2000lb gross weight. At that gross weight you must have 30psi in the tire to be properly inflated. You can run more pressure, they just ride like iron then. If the tire pressure is too high the trailer can start a bounce that will possibly wear the tire funny and such.

A way to test how high you can run your tire pressure is to inflate them 2 psi and drive for awhile at various speeds. If nothing feels different from the driver's seat bump it up another 2psi and trailer for awhile again. Keep doing this until you feel a change. When you start feeling a "choppiness" behind you then you have too much tire pressure. The trailer will feel like it is tugging at you some. Back it back off a couple psi and you should be right at your sweet spot.

Cary

LisaNKevin likes this.
  4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks Cary. It makes sense that the higher the tire pressure, the bumpier the ride will be. I think I will keep it somewhere between the recommended pressures.