Too Tight Turn

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by Jim and Sue L., Dec 13, 2015.

1. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Time to dime of Jim - again. Up In Maryland at a lovely state park (forgot the name). They were clearing up a huge crowd from a charity run and had no room for in line registration, so off we were sent to the near-by parking lot. Entrance to the lot involved a serious hair-pin turn and... No, not the "dent the rear wheel-well" bit (that was another time), it was the power cord instead.

How, you say? Well, for some unfathomable reason the cord was tangled up in the hitch and as it over-extended...crunch! That tiny plastic nib that secures the plug into the socket snapped off. Instant no travel lights on the trailer. Swell. Fortunately, Jim is king when it comes to bungee cords and he managed to tie things up well enough to get us through the rest of our trip: about 3,600 miles.

Now here's the dime:

Jim swore we'd replace the cord "as soon as possible" which in most planes of reality means exactly that, but in our house...not so much. For example: if in our house putting something "somewhere safe" it is synonymous with "lost", then it follows that "as soon as possible" is in reality "I'llgettoitwhenIfeellikeitbutinthemeantimewe'llmakeduewiththisMickeyMousejuryriggedthingandhopefullythelittlewomanwilleventuallyforgetallaboutitandstopnaggingmeandwhattheheckwerewetalkingabout?"

So we made it home safe, went on another trip, the cord is still broken and the saga continues.

Can't wait for Jim to read this.

Camp On

Sue

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yes, yes, I find myself being a little like Jim in this way especially about things around the house. A little electrical tape around that tiny hole in Moms kitchen faucet got me by for a couple of months. I dreaded it and when I finally replaced it only took about a half hour. lol. I could make a list of things I dreaded that turned out to be no big deal when I finally tackled them.

3. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

We dragged our electrical cord across a good portion of Wisconsin before we noticed that there were no running lights on the camper. The plastic connector was completely obliterated, but the wires inside were more-or-less OK. Long story short, Father's Day Sunday, really nice U-Haul guy in Whitewater who just happened to be mowing the grass at his shop, a spaghetti pile of butt connectors and electrical tape, and we made it back to Illinois accident-free.

It all worked out for the best because when Tim replaced the 7-pin connector, the new one had more "snap" than the old one. Now when he plugs in the camper, he can feel the tab engage on the connector.

4. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Jim is standing behind me right now and promised to "come up with something later" concerning me dimeing him out....and right now he's considering a good use for duct tape.

Uh-oh

Sue