Trimetric - on a galley door??

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Ken & Peggy, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

After installing the CTEK yesterday i think its time to add a Trimetric so the battery can be maintained to max its potential power and longevity.
    Have people mounted them on the right galley cabinet door? Or could I mount it on the right sidewall by using the RV model?
    Here's a look at my 2008 550's galley -

Attached Files:

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

3. Ken & Peggy

Ah, thanks Ted. Didn't find it in my search - you used "tri-metric". I will read over your setup carefully. How's it working for you?

4. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

My cheapo meter works well, no problems and it tells me what I need to know. I liked it well enough to get another to put on my auxiliary battery setup too.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  5. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Ken, we have this. Works well put in galley shows battery and has 2 USB port we use for charging iPhones. If we want to charge overnight we put in cabin. 2 buttons on top turn the blue lights off so they do not keep us awake. Also it has fuse in case it pops. Got at Amazon. Could not find the link to insert.
    We had one similar except no fuse and it blue but this one worked fine on our 3 week plus trip.
    Pat
    [​IMG]
    USB C Car Charger Cigarette Lighter Splitter Adapter 2 Socket Type C Multi Power Outlet 12V/24V 80W DC with LED Voltmeter Switch 5.8A Dual USB Port for Mobile Cell Phone GPS Dash Cam
    Sold by: Qidoe
    Return eligible through Aug 5, 2019
    $16.87

Ken & Peggy and Jim Carter like this.
  6. SethB

SethB Ranger

I believe your gauge shows the current voltage available at the battery terminals. This is useful info, there are charts that show how voltage relates to capacity like this one (link). Be sure to turn everything off for a good measurement - it should be no-load for accuracy.

The Trimetric (and the coulometer in Rotus’ thread) measure something different, but also helpful. Based on the battery max capacity info you input, it counts the watts of charging, subtracts the watts of energy used, and gives you an accurate percentage snapshot of your current capacity. I think some give you a projection of how many hours you have left at current load.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  7. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Thanks Seth I can see how more extensive understanding of your battery would be helpful for some my use is very basic and my understand pretty basic too.

8. Ken & Peggy

Thanks. I have to decide now about how big a hole to put in the door...

9. Ken & Peggy

Thanks. I have one similar to yours and it works very well.