Truck stops, rest stops

Discussion in 'Campground & Park Reviews' started by Trippster, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Trippster

Trippster Novice

What has been your experience with rest areas of highways as far as sleeping over and using the bath rooms. I see trucks do it all the time. Do you park in the truck area?

What about truck stops for stay over and showers? Any problems or recommendations?

Of course I am talking about doing these things only when we are pressed for time and need to get somewhere.
    Thanks all!

2. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Truck stops I think are relatively safe but REST STOPS I wouldn't do. Too much possible crime. Truck stops have showers, etc. and are usually very well maintained. I also know that Cracker Barrel has RV parking spaces and they don't care if you overnight. I think it's basic courtesy to go in when you wake up and hit the bathrooms to go have breakfast or at minimum a cup of coffee. I wouldn't open up my kitchen and go to cooking there. But sleeping is fine - we've done that in our 5th wheel several times.

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Ken, we have done truck stops, rest stops, and Wal-Marts. The truck stops and Wal-Marts had security guards, so we checked in with them so they would keep an eye on things. Of course, a rest stop doesn't have security, but we haven't had a problem. It isn't that often that we need to stop at one one, but if so, we look for a well lit area away from the edges, and then leave everything hooked up and ready to drive off quickly, if necessary.

4. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Thanks all for some wonderful info. Walmarts and Truck stops seem to be nice ops for those times when you are trying to get some shuteye. Had not thought of Cracker Barrel though. They have such great breakfasts too! That's a double win!
    Thanks All!
    Ken in Louisville