USB Outlets

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Jay & Valerie, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Given so many phones and other devices charge off a USB cord, it would be nice to add a few USB outlets in the kitchen and cabin and eliminate the need for a DC to USB charge adapter.

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Agree, I added mine... extra on the top shelf in and out and 4 on the lower outside panel... on the rt side under the side table so I can just put the stuff there and charge... like a charging station.

They do, of course have the USB plugs in various forms, I use them all the time, 3+-way and the small insert with 2 usbs...

[​IMG]

or these are handy...

[​IMG]

they help...
    Just do a quick search on USB Plugs I used Amazon and where I got mine, various combos...

but? you do need the 12v plugs to plug them into. Remember you might have one inside in the cabinet.. heheh, I totally forgot it was there and had another one installed next the lower one.

Just another "Doh!!!" factor in the life & times of....

fun.

3. Theresa

Theresa Novice

A USB in both the cabin and the kitchen area would be GREAT. Yeah, you can get a work-around thing-a-ma-bob, but USBs are pretty much here to stay, and having them built-in would be a very nice small feature.

4. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

They are, on the new builds. But I just have a couple adapters, works just fine.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

6. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

The outlet in Ken & Peggy's post won't work in the galley, because that is not a GFCI outlet. I haven't seen a USB version of one of those, though they could exist. That solution also requires that you be on shore power. To get a USB in the galley, at the rear of the cabinet behind the GFC you will see the back of the 12V plug (maybe not on all models). You should be able to wire one of these or something similar into that connection. Then figure out a way to route the wires and the USB connectors toward the front of the cabinet.

https://www.amazon.com/Kimdrox-Adap...id=1475758099&sr=8-2&keywords=12v+USB+adapter

We have toyed with the idea of doing that , but running the wires into the cabin, so that we have dedicated 12v USB connections that don't require using an adapter in the cabin's 12v plug. But thus far we've managed with charging in the tow vehicle on days when we haven't had shore power.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  7. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I may have linked to the wrong version of the outlet/USB plug. They do make a NON-GFCI version - we've got several in the house.
    But you are right, to use these in the camper you'd need shore power, so their use would be limited.

8. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

OOPS! I meant to say it was NOT a GFCI. I revised my post.

9. Steve_B

Steve_B Newbie

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  10. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

The outlet that Ken & Peggy linked to I think is a Leviton No. T5632-BW which is not a GFCI type. In our trailer the cabin the 120 outlet which was not a GFCI type had a sticker on the dress plate stating it was GFCI protected which to me meant it was wired on the same circuit as the one in the galley which would protect it. Since we usually are hooked to shore power I decided to install one of the Leviton units any ways. What I found when I removed the original twin outlet in a small shallow plastic utility box. I was not deep enough to support the newer charger/outlet. What I decided to do was to slice the back of the plastic box off and reuse the front to attach the outlet and the the brushed stainless steel dress cover SL26-CC20. Both pieces were bought at Home Depot. Our Ultra RainDrop was an early model (2008) and had extra outlets installed during build hidden in the storage area to the left of the TV where our air conditioner is plugged in, so the issue I ran into may not apply to later trailers. End result you can not notice the upgrade, unless you look for it. We have been using a 12V USB charger like fpoole showed above. The whole project took about an hour of real work and in my case an additional hour to figure out how to do it.