Using A Tarp As A Canopy

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Ben, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

There is a long standing and active thread on different canopies. I'm creating this separate one dedicated to tarp usage. Just having returned from a week long trip to Mount Desert Island (Acadia National Park), I do feel that a tarp holds a number of advantages over some of the other options (Ex: REI alcove, Northern Breeze, EZ-up). It is lighter, smaller to store and can offer broader protection from the elements (depending on the size and manner of deployment).

I've purchased the kelty 12, 16 and 20 foot versions of their Noah's Tarp and it's a bit like Goldilocks and the 3 bears: Too Small (12 foot), Too Big and unwieldy (20 foot), Ahh just right (16 foot). I like being able to cover the fantastic fan vent as well as the area outside the doors so that I can get out in the rain without getting wet as well as leave the windows and vent open during a rain storm. The 16 foot works well for this while leaving a decent amount of covered space around the galley.

There are 2 main ways to deploy it over the teardrop - either what I'd call a diamond configuration (with the nose of the teardrop at a corner) or the square configuration where the front of the teardrop is at the middle of a side of the tarp. Either can work really well depending on the location of trees or area for poles.

This past week I used the Square configuration and this kept everything dry during a very heavy downpour over night. The next morning other campers were busily drying out their things or tossing out their failed shelters but ours held fast.

Tips on how to deploy the tarp: If there are 2 trees of sufficient height and strength this is a great way to run a tarp diagonally. If the limb is really high, I'll toss the line around the tree and tie both ends to the tarp so that it is easy to retrieve once we take the tarp back down (see pic). Once these 2 corners are fastened, it's usually best to use 2 poles for the other corners as it is pretty unlikely that you'll have 4 trees that form a perfect square that's the right size. You really want the 2 corners not attached to the trees to be straight so the tarp doesn't sag at odd angles. As mentioned in a previous post, I use a hex bolt and 10 inch lag screws rather than stakes. Using a cordless drill it goes in and comes out real easy and will hold in most ground.

If inclement weather is forecast (heavy winds and or rains), the tarp should also be tied down at the middle of each side so that the rain will drain right off and the tarp won't try to sail away with the wind. I've also found that a paper towel works great to wick off rainwater that might collect in pools on the edge of the tarp. This can be held in place with a paper clip. Once fastened down on all corners and sides, the tarp is able to withstand a lot of wind and water - even the 16 foot tarp. As an added benefit. The tarp attachment can double as a towel drying line.

IMG_2320.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

FYI - REI has the 16' Kelty on sale for $69 right now with free shipping.

Ben likes this.
  3. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

I am using tarp as well, and work awesome....

4. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

I grew up in Washington where tarps were a must to keep us from the constant drip from trees even hours after the rain stopped. But the beach, desert, and many other places don't have trees or structure to tie to, so it's a matter of knowing where you're going and packing the tarp or the canopy.

5. Ben

It's true that a couple of well positioned trees make it much simpler to string up a tarp. I've got a couple of the Kelty tarp poles (which are pretty $$ but work fairly well). I'm planning to purchase a couple more so that I can pitch the tarp without any trees. Assateague Island is one place we frequent that doesn't have trees. I've set up the tarp on the beach but not yet at the campsite. One tip for setting up on the beach is to use a "dead man". I used a couple of sticks of firewood buried about a foot under the sand. With a lateral pull, they don't go anywhere once buried. I'll have report back on how goes setting up at the campsite.

6. Ben

This past weekend I did a 3 day trip to Pocomoke State Park on the Eastern shore of Maryland. It's a nice spot to get out and do some paddling if you have a canoe or kayak or bigger water if you have such a vessel (Chesapeake Bay via the Pocomoke river). Since I had the space, I decided to deploy my 20 foot Kelty. It's quite the tarp with a diagonal of 28.3 feet. It's important with such a large tarp to tie down the side to allow water to run off and not pool as well as prevent wind from blowing up from the bottom and creating a giant sail. That said, it's really not too hard to deploy single handedly. I always start by picking 2 trees to create the diagonal then running poles out to the other 2 corners to keep things straight. It does require sturdy stakes or trees for the 2 corners upheld with the poles. The ground in this campsite was very sandy and wouldn't hold the stakes well but there were trees in just the right spots to make it work well.

To be honest, 20 by 20 feet is overkill for most of what I do but it does create a large dry area for cooking, socializing and for the entire teardrop. It's nice to be able to get out of the teardrop in the rain and stay dry hanging around outside. I also love not worrying about the vent being open while I sleep. I think that the 16 by 16 would be a better fit for most folks.

We did have an odd and scary occurrence while sitting under it. Although there was no significant wind at the time, my friend and I were just hanging out when a loud clash took place. About a foot or so from where he was sitting, a sizable limb fell on the tarp. There was enough force to create a small tear in the tarp at the corner of the galley hatch. Fortunately no other damage. The big downside is having to let it dry before putting it away. I had to lay it down on some pavement for 15 minutes yesterday to dry up the fallen dew before putting it away.

Attached Files: