Walbernizing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mark & Ann, May 14, 2024.

1. Mark & Ann

Mark & Ann Newbie

We would love to be in touch with anyone who walbernizes their CampInn camper. We have done it a few times but find it very challenging to get it all off. Or if you don't walbernize, how does the camper look? Thanks for any tips.

2. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Understandable why one would want to maintain that fresh, milled aluminum look, it is stunningly beautiful. However, I never found a good way to do it and in my attempts with several different products found that it looked worse when I was done. Walnernizing can be a literal “black rabbit hole” that is hard to get out of once you start.

Embrace the patina and put a coat of wax on it once a year or so to prevent pitting and oxidation . I use this wax https://a.co/d/00XNy00. I actually like the satin patina that comes on naturally over time.

My opinion only, yours may differ :)

3. Mark & Ann

Mark & Ann Newbie

Thank you so much for your note!

Randy likes this.
  4. Really good tip Randy.
    Reminds me I'm overdue for a touchup.
    Do you try to remove old wax, and how?

I do same, "embrace the patina" and do a rewax after a fresh water washdown after any trip through salted roads, or camping awhile near sea shore. Mine came with, used, a bit of corrosion at the edge of stainless fenders and aluminum skin, typical for metals with different composition.

Marine products seem to fit the marine quality construction and durability of fittings of the CampInn.

Getting back to the polished shiny mirror look from well used is a lot of work- Cary suggested looking for larger truck stop vendors that may have someone who polishes up the staineless or aluminum on the big rigs.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    Randy likes this.
  5. Mark & Ann

Mark & Ann Newbie

Thanks Kevin for your reply. Good input on the possibility of corrosion at the edge of the stainless fenders. I will watch for that. It sounds like Cary has no new news on effective finish management of the aluminum skin. I'm just surprised that Camp-Inn doesn't have a seal coating option for the skin that would preserve the finish without it being so grievous for the owner year after year.

Randy likes this.
  6. Aluminum is very common for aircraft, with various sealants, and if you search forums here you will find many discussions on possible finishes, from paint to walburnize, to wax, and beyond.

The unique "baby airstream" look is iconic and part of the high resale value on these so keeping it shiny, easy is the key. You can buff out a patina with some work, I believe. See truck stop vendors who specialize in keeping semis looking pretty.

Personally, I'm very lazy and rather spend time camping than in the garage...but I am not typical user as I like to boondock and go down dusty desert roads ...maybe Bucket List trip ahead to Deadhhorse...see dirty6's epic family adventure on that road, and a couple others...
    The point is I get my CI very dirty!

And I will share that I am now secretly waiting for Sweeney to find time to go back to his "wrap it" idea...when he gets time from his new gig "beheading"...check that typo Sweeney!

I'm thinking of camo in something restrained but elegant...Mossy Oak is so last year...can I match it to a G6?...hmm.
    Srsly, I'm thinking a white top, like on FJ's might help with heat in the high desert I like.
    Anyone have thoughts on that...?

Glamping Deer Blind!
    Heh...only part j/k! ...)

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    Ken & Peggy, Tour 931 and dustinp like this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Awsh crud...I made a clean spot...guess I'm not going camping this month :)

Waxing annually and washing regularly. Maybe at the 4 or 5 year mark it will be worth the time, but not yet....my petina is just fine.

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah and Randy like this.
  8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I did the Dalton Hwy last summer with a friend in his pickup. I’m not sure I would want to pull a CI on it though.

9. Beautiful country,
    and yeah...bumpy road with gluey gook when wet, iirc dirty6 story.

I'd like to mosey along...maybe fish and hunt- if not there then elsewhere..didja see lots of brown bears and moose?

Oops sorry OP! Thread jacked ya...