Water in the tear shaped lights

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Mick'nSarah, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hi all-

Upon returning from the trip to MN, we noticed the side lights on the trailer (the tear shaped ones) have moisture trapped inside. Has anyone else had issue with that? With the trailer being parked outside (albeit under one of the trailer covers) and our less than dry climate, the water has never gone away. Is this normal? Should we be concerned? Should this be happening? Would love opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Mick'nSarah

Just to be clear...it looks like condensation and it is not pooling in there.

3. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Yes. No. Yes. No.

I bought thin rubber and made gaskets for mine. Supposedly after that CI added gaskets to theirs. Remove the lenses and dry them or the electrical connections for the bulbs will corrode. IF gaskets are there, try again & watch. If not, get some from CI or make some. It's part of the fun.

Hilditch

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Sarah,

As Hilditch pointed out we did have gaskets made for them and yours does have them. Follow his directions and see if it is just condensation. The other place water could possibly get in is the screws holding the lense on. Perhaps a tab of silicone sealant under the screw head might have to be applied.

Knowing you experienced copious amounts of rain when you picked up your trailer and water got in the lense it surely came from then. Wipe them out and see what happens.

One tip. When putting the lenses back on do not tighten the screw very much. The lense can easily crack from tightening them up real tight.

Cary

5. Mick'nSarah

Thanks all. Will give it a go today when the cover is off. We have had more rain than normal lately too (and even snow and ice in town, which is unheard of for November), but the bright side is all that white fluffy stuff in the mountains! Can't have the one without the other!

6. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

I noticed moisture in the amber lenses of my 550 classic this past weekend. I will dry them out and keep an eye on them. It does look like condensation rather than pooling inside.

7. Mick'nSarah

I took off the ones with water and dried them out today. It is funny that it was only lights on the port side that had the water inside...starboard side was dry. I did notice the red one at the tail was very slightly chipped on the back. Not sure if that could contribute to the water getting in, and not sure if it came that way or chipped on the trip...the chip is kind of below the metal surround, so I would think it might have come that way. May need to replace that if I see more water gettingin there. At least things are dry for the time being. Thanks again to everyone for the help. I appreciate it!

8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Having the moisture on one side and not the other sounds very much like condensation. Depending on which side face which way and such.

Cary

9. Mick'nSarah

Could be. The side that had the moisture was facing west, the east side was dry. After we got home we washed the trailer, dried it as much as we could, and put the cover on. I can't remember if I remember seeing water in the lights on the east side...could have been, and it went away. At any rate, I think we are good now, but will keep an eye on it in the future. Especially with it being a La Nina year!