winter storage of Dometic refrigerator

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by jimtiffany, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Hi everyone,

While awaiting the completion of our 560, we've been buying equipment we know we'll need. We just road-tested our new Dometic CF-35, with great results. We drove from Santa Fe to Denver with some perishable items needed for a tamali-making fest with friends. We had the Dometic plugged into a DC outlet in the car. We then drove back to Santa Fe with several dozen frozen tamalis in Dometic. The refrigerator and freezer functions worked flawlessly. I'm sure that comes as no surprise to those of you who have a Dometic This is a very cool product!

My question here is how do you store your Dometic when it is not used for an extended time? I have not found any information about the recommended long-term storage environment for the unit. Specifically, can I store it in a garage, subject to very low ambient temperatures for months at a time? If it is subjected temperatures well below freezing for an extended period, is it necessary to allow the unit to warm up before using it? Thanks.

2. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I store mine in the basement. Take lid off. Wait for spring.

What are very low temps? Below freezing?
    I do not know if the components function after being frozen.
    Need to do some Googling to learn about the compressor, which will determine if can be kept in space that freezes.

Jean

3. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Jean, the lows are usually in the teens here, but it can get into single digits, or even below zero on occasion. I'm thinking it best to just keep the Dometic in a closet indoors, but our closet space is limited. However, better safe than sorry might apply.

4. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Well, be creative: cover with a favorite vintage tablecloth, set next to your favorite easy chair, turn on the TV, keep stocked with your favorite refreshment.....
    Your wife will be thankful, no more "Honey can I have another?"

Other idea: set next to your favorite recliner, cover off, handy storage space for destination travel pamphlets, teardrop supply catalogs, maps.....

The possibilities are beyond imagination.

5. 1Door

1Door Novice

I agree with Jean W !!!
    One of our YETI coolers is a coffee table!!

6. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Great ideas, guys. Actually, I just got an answer from Dometic customer service:

"The unit will be ok being stored in low temps but you will want to allow the unit to come to room temp (thaw) before starting the unit."

Beside an easy chair sounds best!

7. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

If it's getting that cold where you live, I'd suggest loading the fridge into the Teardrop and heading somewhere warmer.