Froli® Sleep Systems - circulation

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by fpoole, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Rick  Sarah

Rick Sarah Novice

We also went with the Hypervent and have slept well with the few nights we have camped.

2. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

We decided to try the Froli. I thought everyone would appreciate the information.

1. Price: We got a special price of $326 for the queen size.

2. Fit. The fit was perfect, in terms of having the right width and length. The Hypervent is 3/4 inch think, and the Froli is 1 3/8 inches thick.

3. Cushioning. I have not used the Hypervent, but my understanding is that its purpose is not cushioning. The Froli's purpose is the air circulation/raising the mattress and cushioning. The "springs" have a maximum flex of one inch. You can choose how much flex/cushioning you want by altering the distance between the springs, and by choosing which type of spring you use. For example, the company recommends a spring with more flexion under your shoulders, and perhaps a more tight flexion for lumbar support. I followed their recommendation and really appreciate it.

4. Access to Storage: I don't have the hypervent, but I think it would be about the same. This is because the Froli forms a mat when all of the pieces are connected together. It is just a different type of mat.

5. Durability. I don't have personal experience. But after reading much information and many reviews, it seems both the Hypervent and the Froli seem to last indefinitely.

So I think it is a personal choice. It may be worth the extra dough if you want a little bit more cushioning/flexion, without much more thickness. That is the main advantage I see for the extra money. We are happy with it and find it to be more comfortable/supportive, even though the stock mattress is comfortable as is. Hoping this is helpful.

Lorie

Little Patriot and Evan like this.
  3. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

This is Lorie again. I wanted to add some comments regarding the Froli:

Warmth

We spent several nights on the Froli / mattress at about 5 degrees F (got caught in a storm). It seems the Froli keeps the mattress warmer from the bottom. It must be the air pocket between the floor and the mattress. We have no way to prove it except through observation, but we've spent considerable amounts of time winter camping, and it was very comfortable. Perhaps it was just the pup keeping us warm ;-)

I was thinking of fpoole, and his comments about the layers under and on top of the mattress for winter camping warmth. I think the Froli could be an answer for many with less thickness - warmth, elevation of the mattress for condensation purposes, and flexion.

Circulation

With Froli, there is no extra hypervent to put at the end of the bed to create air circulation. I've been monitoring and considering this point. (Jenn started this practice and has advised regarding the same.)

I think there is enough circulation with the Froli, without this extra end. I think it is because of the extra elevation - I can pretty easily create a gap on the side by the doors, if needed.

Hope this is helpful. Lorie

jfocallag likes this.
  4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Lori,

Do you have the Froli and then just the regular camping mattress? Does it soften the mattress? I currently have a 1 1/2 inch memory foam topper. I am wondering if the Froli could replace the memory foam. With Froli, mattress and memory foam = 6 7/8 inches (if I have done my math correctly.) Without memory foam = 5 3/8th. I don't want to run out of room for my toes.

Thanks

Joan

5. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We have the Hypervent and have not followed Jenn's recommendation for curling up one end. We've had no issues with condensation, though we don't live near the coast in a cool climate. I suspect that the mattress characteristics in cold weather are similar with both Froli and Hypervent. 1, a dry mattress will stay warmer than one that is dampened by condensation, and 2 a small amount of air beneath the mattress will make it harder for the outside cold to be transferred to the mattress.

We spent a couple of fun filled 14 degree nights in our camper on our return from Mexico to Idaho. The big issue in cold weather is going to be heat loss from the cabin sides and air infiltration from the door seals and the built in door vents. If you keep the interior warm at those temperatures you will get a LOT of condensation on the inside camper walls, including in the upper storage cabinets (unless you have enough Polar Bear DNA to consider cracking the roof vent open). That's probably OK for an unusual weather situation or a weekend of skiing, but probably not something you want to do to your camper for extended periods.

6. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear Steve & Alea:

That makes sense - the mattress is dry and the air pocket create more warmth. We had the cold weather coming back to Iowa from Arizona. Couldn't agree more that the door vents/roof vent are sources of cool air... I'm pleased you confirmed my belief that the system is warmer with the elevated mattress.

Lorie

7. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear Joan:

Yes. We use the regular camping mattress that came with the 550. Under it is the Froli "Travel". The mattress package combined is not technically softer, but because there is flexion, it seems softer. That is, I put the weaker springs where I need the softness, and it feels softer.

The Froli "Travel" model is 1 3/8 inches thick, and it flexes 1 inch. I really appreciate that under my shoulders and hips. Keith has had both hips replaced, and he is very happy as well.

The Froli "Star" model is 1 3/4 inches thick, and it flexes 1 3/8 inch. (I didn't buy this in favor of toe room, but I think it would probably be okay. An individual choice.)

I think you could get rid of the memory foam and use the Froli, and it would accomplish what the memory foam does, PLUS elevate the mattress.

I see you are from Oregon. I live in Iowa, but only 1.5 miles off of heavily traveled interstate 80. I don't know if you will be out this way, but if you are you are certainly welcome at my home and to try it. Also, the lady from the vendor, Nickle Atlantic, provided extraordinary service. I'm sure she would send you a couple so that you can see how they flex.

I hope this is helpful.

Lorie

Jenn likes this.
  8. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Jenn likes this.
  9. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I suspect that would work OK. I don't see where it states the length. You should probably make certain that it isn't longer than the cabin. I noticed another mat that is 87" long. I think that is about a half foot longer than the cabin, but I would recommend that you double check that.

10. RShep

RShep Novice

Any Froli Sleep Systems users out there who could give a review? I am most interested in the comfort factor. My understanding is the system increased the mattress height when uncompressed approx 1.5 inches. As the system interlocks I do not see it being a major issue for underbed storage access unless you use that storage very frequently. Hoping to get a review.

11. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

To me it's really comfortable and the favorite mod I have made to date for my camper. Here is my original post:

I finished installing the FROLI Star System. Double Bed Package + 12 Pack Expansion was the perfect size, used every piece and didn't have any left over. 108 pieces total. The cost shipped was $361.

I cut around the under floor covers and attached those sections with 1/2 inch stainless steel screws to the cover so that I can easily remove them to access the storage. In retrospect, probably could have done a little better with the spacing but the entire floor is covered.

The height of the mattress is exactly the same as it was with the Hypervent and 2 inch foam topper.

Felt good laying on it the first time, a full night will tell the story!

Randy

Update 10/9/17 Couldn't wait, slept in my driveway last night. I can honestly say that it is as comfortable as my home mattress. As a side sleeper I was having trouble with hip pain and pressure points but this took care of it. Very pleased, one of my favorite mods to date.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

AlCat, Jenn, RShep and 1 other person like this.
  12. RShep

RShep Novice

Thanks for the review and detail pictures. Like the way you did the storage covers. Nice job.

13. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear Rshep:

We love the Froli. It solves condensation problems and gives more flex in the mattress. For winter camping, it seems warmer. It seems very durable. We strongly recommend it.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it. Make sure to search for all the Froli posts - I tried to be very specific in some earlier posts about the Froli.

Have a great day.

Lorie

14. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

After sleeping in our 560 with just the original mattress, I found that my hip started to ache, so we added the Froli based on the recommendations here. We used the "star" version like Randy has -- it's a little taller than the travel version, which I wanted for added comfort. We didn't attach it to the storage lids, but I find that I can still get in and out without the Froli coming apart. I figure I can attach it later if we need to. I put the softer (light blue) pieces at hip and shoulder, and the red tensioner pieces at waist/lumber. We have given it a test a few times, but haven't taken it out into the wild yet. Our test runs indicate that it is a huge improvement. We haven't added a mattress topper, but this seems to be comfortable enough without it.

We're still able to use the sofa, but the recline is a little steep. I'm thinking about cutting a piece of wood to use underneath the back part of the sofa to bring the recline back into the original position, which was more comfortable.

15. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

[QUOTE="We're still able to use the sofa, but the recline is a little steep. I'm thinking about cutting a piece of wood to use underneath the back part of the sofa to bring the recline back into the original position, which was more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that your recline position got steeper. Mine seems to still be in the original position after the Froli install as the wood brackets that hold it in the recline position are still above the level of the mattress and unaffected by the Froli.

16. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

That is interesting! Ours are now about an inch or so steeper.

17. TroutBum

TroutBum Novice

I'm about to sleep on mine for the first time tonight.

I have same issue with sofa - when inclined, it will sit on its rail, but the mattress does stickup a bit more.

On the plus side . . . the sofa / lower bunk is now just about even with my mattress ;)

18. TroutBum

TroutBum Novice

Update:

6 nights in a row, and no sore hips or shoulders.
    I've slept past 6am, consistently, for the first time in a LONG time - 6 night streak.

I've got standard mattress. With Froli installed, the mattress is just about even with bottom bunk.
    My toes don't hit the bottom, but if I sleep on my side with legs stretched . . . . My calf will barely hit the very bottom of the toe box. Once I curl up just the slightest bit, everything fits perfectly.

With Certainty : +1 Froli System

I can fish ALL day ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Van_and_Terri likes this.