Lots of opinions on Canopies

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Received our new EZ-Up today and couldn't wait to test it out. It's 8' x 12'. That's perfect for us as we didn't want something too big, didn't want the legs to be in the way but wanted to make sure it could cover the full galley, and wanted it to match the trailer well. We LOVE it and can't wait to "field test" it!

[​IMG]

2. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

I have dealt with that type canopy at the Farmer's market. They're pretty susceptible to wind. Some folks would tie them down to a concrete block. I made weights out of a piece of 6 inch PVC pipe. I put a cap on one end and filled it up with concrete. Capped the other end with a cap that was drilled out so that I could have an anchor bolt sticking out. They were cleaner to handle than concrete blocks.

I actually did a study of farmer's market safety when I sat on the Board of one. Turns out that flying canopies are the biggest cause of injuries at markets.

I hope that feedback doesn't sound overly negative. Just be aware.

3. Dahava

Dahava Novice

No, that's great advice! I made sure it has some foot holes for good staking down, when possible. The weighted bags seem so expensive. Your idea with PVC sounds terrific and I'm also doing some some "in my head" designs using water for weight since that's available on site, but not necessary during transport...

I do wish the canopy was vented for provide some wind pressure relief...

Thanks so much!

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Dan, water weigts, yup...

Old Gallon milk jugs, just fill them up when at the site and wrap them up onto the legs...

and if it's really windy, furl the sails...
    I had to do it last weekend and eventually just put the canopy away as it looked too 3rd World....

[​IMG]

5. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Great advice, as always, Frank! If I knew how to use photoshop I would have rigged up a picture to attach of you superimposed on your picture above with a margarita in one hand and an "I Will Rebuild" sign in the other!

6. fpoole

Heheh... Dan, that's pretty much how I felt...

Put it up, take it down, put it back up, furl it, unfurl it... but finally the wind overcame all my efforts... as I was walking towards it from a distance, I thought 'Holy-Moley'... looks like a 3rd world country... and just couldn't leave it up... to embarrassing.

Then, Ma Friend, it WAS Margaritas... actually Hurricanes as I needed to get rid of an older jug... Get tired of hauling it around you know..

[​IMG]

Now we're 'Good-to-Go'

fun eh??

7. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

One way or the other something or somebody is going to get blown away.

BTW, I've seen these things get airborne with a concrete block on each leg. Standard concrete blocks weigh from 32-40# each. A gallon of water weighs 8.34#.

The positive is a lot of usable room and ultra-quick set-up. Mine was called Instant-up and that was pretty accurate.

8. fpoole

Yah, as I may have mentioned.. one morning I was up, making coffee (ahem, with those little cups) felt a slight breeze and withing 30 sec the canopy started lifting off.

I had to grab it and furl it at the same time, but had I been anywhere of any distance it would have a launch.. as in, "Huston, we have lift off at....)
    caught me by surprise.

If the winds seem to be picking up slowly, I'll furl it. Tying weights to it in order to KEEP it down will mean a bent frame or canopy tear... just not worth it...

Just got back from the Tacoma RV show looking at Truck campers for taking Ms Nellie out... Gawd, I found one, Arctic Fox, now to look for trucks 3500/350 diesels... sigh, I'm toast.. heheh...

9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

If you get a bigger truck, then won't you be able to haul a dual trailer - and not need a new camper too?

10. fpoole

Yah, but it would be too long...

I'll settle with two "Set ups"....
    I found what I'm looking for as a Truck Camper
    Artic Fox 992

[​IMG]

now need to settle in on a truck... and that seems to be changing on an hourly basis, Ford, Ram, Chev 350/3500s...

a slippery slope indeed...

I will, of course, keep and use "Le Droppe".
    This buggy thing is just a replacement for the Cold Water Diving thing...

11. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

I have the solution Frank. Either adopt me or hire me as your driver. Your choice.

I prefer Fords, so if I'm driving for you… thought you'd want to know.

12. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Have Craig design and build you a camper that will fit on the back of your present truck. Quality will be top notch!

13. fpoole

A driver, now that would be kewl.... Ford, Chev, Chrysler, geesh at any given hour, one is better than the other...

Jean, while they do have some smaller campers for my "Mid-sized" truck (Chev Colorado) it just isn't quite as nimble pulling "Nellie" as I would like, so truck upgrade is first and then find a camper that I can afford and I guess fits somehow..heheh...

Sigh, I've got until the end of year to consider the right combo, so I have a little time. Camp Inn truck camper... LOL, now wouldn't that be kwel..

Steampunk it out.. Really Kewl..

fun, I guess AFTER I decide on the right combo...

14. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

REI Alcove replacement parts

Many folks have expressed dismay at the difficulty in getting spare parts for the REI Alcove. If you have had your Alcove long enough that REI won't simply send you a new one if something breaks, you can get spare parts at:

TentPole Technologies
    12607 NE 95th St., Suite A109
    Vancouver, WA 98682
    360-260-9527 phone
    360-260-9937 fax
    www.tentpoletechnologies.com

(REI gave me this information, and I have contacted these folks and they do sell the hubs.)

We snapped/bent one of the blue hubs (plastic pieces into which the tent poles insert), a fairly common occurence for folks who use their Alvoe in the rain. (Rain pools on the fabric, and a hub can bend, ruining your shelter).

If we had staked the poles and used guy lines, we likely wouldda been fine. And we know better. C'est la vie.

We'll also try the approach of creating "rafters" by using bungee cords.

15. AlCat

What this person said!!

16. AlCat

Re: Canopies (once again)

I may have made a "mistake" when I called REI to inquire about buying a new "hub" for the Alcove to replace the hub that broke this past weekend. The customer service rep asked me at least three times, how long ago had I bought the tent. I said, "at least two years ago." Now that I think back on it, I think she was begging me to say, "less than a year ago," so she could have sent me a new tent. REI does not carry replacment parts, so they can't help if you bought the tent more than a year earlier.

I don't mind paying for the tent parts, as it is not a significant cost (less than $20 delivered), but it's only now that I realize what might have been going on during yesterday's phone call.

-Al

17. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Re: Canopies (once again)

Since I have been off line for a while this may have been covered....I ordered new poles for my Northern Breeze. The previous ones had just bent too much in some high winds including a brush with a tornado in the area. They cost me something like $16.50 each plus $9.00 total for shipping. I don't know if they took pity on me, but the cost started at $28.00 each. I complimented the order taker about the NB and then the price went to $16.50. I think this was the charge to educational institutions. So for less than $75.00 I got four new poles. Good customer service is something worth passing on. Steve

18. Re: Rafters for REI Alcove

I'm looking for the 24" bungee cords to make rafters on my REI Alcove and having a difficult time finding them in anything but an 'assortment" which makes it difficult to get enough. I'm thinking of buying the bungee by the yard and making them. Those who have it - how thick is the bungee cord - will 1/4 inch be OK?

19. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Re: Rafters for REI Alcove

I did a quick amazon search of "24 inch bungee cords" and the first item listed was a 12 pack of heavy-duty bungee cords for $12.97.

20. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

Re: Rafters for REI Alcove

I recently bought twelve 36" bungees for our new alcove. I think 24" would be too tight.