Lots of opinions on Canopies

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Re: Rafters for REI Alcove

OK - my real question is where did you buy them? I can only find assortments around here and that only includes a couple of big ones

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Re: Rafters for REI Alcove

We just got a set of matching ones. I'll check for info and get back to you. We did order by the web rather than search store to store.

-Al

3. Re: Rafters for REI Alcove

Thank you! that is new - checked last week.

4. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. Pick

Pick Novice

Rafters? I know what they are but not in relationship to the Alcove. Anybody post a picture? I can imagine they are to hang things from but any other function? Structural stregnth? Tried to find out in the Alcove threads but they go on forvever.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

6. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

well, I've only had one experience with a big rain storm and the alcove, but based on the advice in this forum I had 4 or 5 36" bungee cords attached between the center roof support and each side. These "rafters" kept the water from pooling on the roof and bending poles etc.

I also had a sidewall set installed on the upwind side and we stayed dry in a torrential downpour with lots of wind. Secure tiedowns are a must.

There's a photo somewhere on the forum of an alcove seriously overloaded with water.

7. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Problem:

[​IMG]

Solution:

[​IMG]

8. Pick

Pick Novice

Got it. Thanks for the photos. I haven't put mine up yet or I might have seen how the bungees would be attached. Is twelve thirty six inchers' the right amount for the rafters? Looks like you can't have enough bungees.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

9. Re: Rafters for REI Alcove

For anyone who is the process of looking for these bungees - the ones I ordered from Amazon came today. They are very heavy and have metal hooks - the ones from Home Depot look much better. I'll be returning the Amazon ones.

10. Mattster

Mattster Newbie

EZ-Up has sandbags available to weight down the corners - a full bag is ~40 pounds. We found that if we put a plastic bag inside the fabric bag before filling with sand that the sand would stay inside.

11. Mattster

Mattster Newbie

re: bungees for the Alcove

Are you really using 36" bungees? It seems to me that would put too much force on the poles. I measure 44" of space between the poles, so it seems to me that they should be maybe 42" or 40".

12. Mattster

Mattster Newbie

So, I've now re-read the first 18 pages and consumed the newest three pages. Whew!

We're picking up our trailer on Labor Day weekend, so I'm busy running around learning about solar panels and canopies and such. We've already got the Alcove and I understand that Northern Breeze is the "One to Want" so we'll stop by their store in NY in October to get one. Now we're debating whether to get the Side Tent or something different because we watched a couple in the next site over from us in March set up their 550 and they seemed to have plenty of problems with the Side Tent. Including the fact that the poles are made of steel and seem to rust in Florida. Their solution was to grease the poles, but geez that's messy.

So I've been looking at Pahaque. A number of the comments posted here seem to put down the Pahaque when compared to the others. Is this a quality/strength problem? The reason I'm interested is they sell a version of their 5x7 and 10x10 screen houses modified for use with the Little Guy teardrop. And they assure me (by email) that it will work just fine with my 550. It seems to have a short "sleeved tunnel" connecting from around the door of the trailer into a rather traditional square (or rectangular) screen house. I'm attracted to this idea because I imagine I could put down the side awnings and air-condition the interior of the screen house. Thinking the 5x7 would be good for this.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular tent on a Camp-Inn? Any comments or opinions on Pahaque also appreciated.

13. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

There was an owner called girlreinvented. She owned a used Camp Inn and was traveling across the country. I believe she has sold her trailer and now is a yoga instructor in LA.

She had a blog that is no longer available. It was quite interesting. She ordered a Pahaque to attach to her trailer. In order to attach it, I believe she had to install something around the door. She did it herself so it can not be that difficult. It is something I would check on.

The only thing I would be concerned about is always having a campsite that had enough room next to it to accommodate a tent that size next to it.

Will look forward to what you decide to do.

14. STEVEandJAN

STEVEandJAN Newbie

I just found the Northen Breeze for $278 at a website called BestDealz.com. It is listed as the "Eureka 2626300 Tent" and the number checks out as the Northern Breeze. Has anyone ever heard of them ? Know if it's legit ? My assumption is - too good to be true.

15. Louie

Louie Newbie

Our Camp-Inn is still a dream at this point, but we are regular tent campers. I realize this discussion has mostly focused on galley canopies, but we picked up a Kelty Carport on sale last year and we have used on the side of the van a few times. I was wondering if anyone had tried one of these as a side tent? or if anyone just had an opinion on how well it would work?
    [​IMG]
    (edit: and if someone could give me a clue on putting pictures into the post instead of just a link, that would be good too! Thanks!)

16. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Louie,

I have seen the kelty Tailgator used a side tent on a 560 by David from North Dakota. I thought the set up looked great.

17. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Apparently so.
    I Googled the NB and came up with the same ad from BestDealzPrice.com. Went to the web site, and placed the order on 7/04/14 using Paypal (which the site required, and gave me a little reassurance), and the order was accepted and confirmed.
    Today I got a notice from Paypal that my payment had been refunded with no further explanation. I contacted the company by email via their website for further explanation, but have received no response from them at this point.

18. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

I likewise did not have any luck with BestDealz.com. However just received our NB from www.sunnysports.com. $379 and free shipping. Very good response time and easy to order. Good Luck..R

19. STEVEandJAN

STEVEandJAN Newbie

Thank you all so much for the info on BestDealz. I went to the SunnySports website and found the price at $439. But, I called them and they immediately said they would sell it to me at $379 and free shipping !!!!!! Took all of about 2 minutes and I should be getting it in 2 days !!! I HIGHY recommend Sunny Sports !!!! :)

20. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

So we just got our new northern breeze from Sunny Sports at the $379 price SteveJan spoke about. Free delivery. Ordered Wednesday and got it today. Hubby and I set it up too. 15 minutes to set up first time and 20 minutes to take down. Refolding the tent was the hardest. And surprise! No divorce !
    My question to you other owners: do you put the little bags back on the poles or just put them loose in the pole bag? Do you tie the poles together with the bungle cord too? We did all that and still did it in 20 minutes. Sunny hot day. Might take longer with different weather.
    Huge tent too! Thanks for the tip on calling Sunny Sports!
    Now we just need our "Escape Pod".
    Gina