Major Upgrade on the Way!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Evan, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

As you know, the new site is live.

You may notice that some features are missing: For example, Display Names are not currently enabled. This means that for the moment only your user name will be visible to others. The Interactive User Map and some other features are also not available yet, such as the little red numbers that list the number of unread posts. If your badges or map photos have disappeared, don't panic. They should be back soon.

I will be doing my best in the next few weeks to bring back as many of these good features from the old board as possible.
    In the meantime, please check out some of the new features that are in place:
    • Uploading pictures is a breeze. Try uploading a new photo or avatar from your PC or mobile.
    Koala.jpg I just uploaded this picture on the fly. See! We couldn't have koalas before unless people planned in advance and had the grandkids upload stuff for them. Now we can all have them with just a couple clicks.​
    • Create personal photo albums for a trip and share your photos. (Look for the "Media" tab).
    • Format your posts easily - just like in Microsoft Word. NNo special code required. What you see is what you get.
      [*]Mobile browsing works great - try it!
      [*]A host of other features - don't be afraid to click around. (I'm still tweaking settings, so if you find the "Delete the whole forum" button, please let me know so I can hide it.)

As always, I welcome your suggestions and comments. The great thing is that now I can seriously consider all suggestions instead of apologizing for the software platform.

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Fabulous, I like it. Works pretty well on a mobile too. I can't seem to fine the Donate button on the new site, but the one on the old site still worked!

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  3. Evan

You're so crafty, rotus8 ! :) The Donate button will eventually make its way over.

fpoole likes this.
  4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Way to go Evan, nice job...
    looking good...

5. Evan

I miss the red (5) showing the number of unread posts in each section.
    I've added an unread posts tab at the top that shows all unread posts. Not exactly what we had before, but getting closer.

fpoole likes this.
  6. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

OK, after a brief hiccup, I am now able to login to the new board.

FYI, in case anyone else is having difficulties...it would not let me login using my username/password. I tried resetting my password using the link but it never sent me the email allowing me to reset. I was about to contact you when I decided to try and send it again and it worked the 2nd time.

I was able to reset my password and login. All good now. So, if activity drops off with the new forum s/w, it may be because people are having a hard time logging In.

7. Evan

Thanks for the heads up Jack. Unfortunately, the old passwords were not able to be transfered. I am monitoring the number of users who have made it to the new site, and may put together an email to other users with tips for getting on the new site.

8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hmm... I just reused the same password I had on the old sight, seems to be working ok...
    I didn't have to create a new one, just re registered with the old one...

9. Evan

You are the exception Frank, as the only member to join the new forum before all the data was ported over.

fpoole likes this.
  10. Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.