Memory Foam Or Some Other Type Of Mattress Topper? Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Little Patriot, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hello all!

For those of you that have bought and use(d) a mattress topper for your CI teardrop/raindrop, I need your experience, advice, and recommendations on this topic, please.

I am considering adding a mattress topper to our 550 Ultra, but I'm not sure what to get.
    Paramount to everything, I do NOT want to wake up hot ♨️ because of the topper.
    From my research on this forum, I know certain foam toppers can be rock hard in cold weather. My camper has both AC and the furnace, so that's probably a factor.
    Also, for those of you that purchased a 3" topper, are you happy with it or would you go with something less if you had it to do over? Likewise, for toppers less than 3", are you satisfied?

I appreciate it.

Deb

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I have a wool topper. You might think "isn't that hot?" Not compared to other types of toppers. Check some reviews and comparisons. But everyone is different. Memory foam might be your only acceptable choice for your comfort.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We have had toppers in the past, I believe they were 2" memory foam. Right now we are just using the standard mattress atop a HyperVent pad on the camper floor (helps prevent mildew, either from cold outside temps or from condensation forming inside the cabin, etc). The HyperVent helps even out the raised edge of the floor storage compartments, which might be a reason why some folks use toppers (it was one of our original reasons). We find it more than adequate for our comfort, and it is a easier to make the bed without a topper.

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We've got a 4" foam topper, and find it comfortable. I think it is going to be an individual preference thing, though, as everybody likes what they like...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  5. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

We love the Froli. It depends on your goals. Do you want a topper for softness?

6. Little Patriot

Lorie & Keith,
    I think I want something that eliminates pressure points, esp. my hips. I have the HyperVent, and I like the CI mattress, but I do notice a ridge sort of around my hip area.

Sherry,
    I checked out the wool topper, and it is highly rated for comfort, coolness, and hypoallergenic in regards to dust mites.
    I will have to give this serious consideration.

Ken & Peggy,
    I'm curious about your 4" foam topper and its density. I remember reading something about firmness equating with the # of inches. Do you find it retaining heat? Do you sink into it or find it a little bit of a challenge to get out of it?

Steve & Alea,
    I've used our teardrop with the HyperVent from the very beginning, but I'm thinking I'd like a topper.
    Sure do not want it to make it any more of a challenge to make the bed. We've used the TravaSac for the past two years but want to move on to regular sheets.

I did find two comprehensive websites to do comparisons: www.thebestmattresstopper.com
    and www.sleeplikethedead.com

Not particularly fond of the 2nd website name, but it does a good job informing.

I'm leaning more to a 2" all natural latex topper. Still not sure. What I am certain is that I can't do hot.

I appreciate any and all experiences on this from the forum family!
    Deb

7. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear Deb and Kyle:

The Froli solves our hip problems. Both mine and Keith's who has had both hips replaced. I live just a mile off of I80 if you live anywhere near Iowa City. But I will see if I can do a short video and upload a file. Honestly, that seems daunting, so don't hold me to it. But I really want you to see it.

Lorie

8. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

i sent you a private message. I can't figure out how to upload a video.

9. Little Patriot

Thank you, Lorie.

I sent you an email.

Deb

10. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

No problems for us with heat or sinking. No trouble getting into or out of the camper. Couldn't say one way or the other regarding your firmness/thickness concern.

11. Scottie_T

Scottie_T Newbie

We just added a mattress topper from IKEA, I think it's the Tanager, at 2 3/8", it doesn't take up too much room and it works very well.

12. I bought the memory foam mattress and love it. I also bought bamboo sheets for the summer and polar fleece sheets for winter. I tend to sleep better in the camper than in my home bed.

13. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Lori,

Installing the Froli in my 560. How did you handle the storage compartments? Did you connect all the pieces or leave them unconnected over each compartment? If you connected all of them, is it difficult to access storage?

Thanks,

Randy

14. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear Randy:

We connected all of the pieces and just lift it up. But at least once when we lifted it up the pieces naturally disconnected, and we just snapped them together again. I will look forward to seeing how it works for you.

Warm regards,

Lorie

15. Randy

Thank you Lorie. I think I will install as one connected piece and see how it goes. I don't use the underfloor storage much. Customer Service suggested an option of cutting around the lid opening and attaching that section to the lid. May not be necessary.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out.

Gratefully,

Randy

16. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I'm confused - do Lorie and Keith have a Froli topper or did they install a complete Froli system (mattress)?

I sleep great in our TD, but I'm always looking for more comfort.

Thanks,

Al

17. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear Al:

See Forum:
    Froli® Sleep Systems - circulation

I can see why the above communication is confusing. I should have been more precise.

I think that if one wants a mattress topper to give the bed more flexion and feel more soft and supportive, then the (under mattress "spring" system) Froli is an alternative option. The advantage is the Froli would give the comfort of a topper and also air circulation under the mattress. The disadvantage is that the Froli is expensive.

I hope this is helpful.

Lorie

AlCat likes this.
  18. Randy

To add to what Lorie said, The Froli is a "firmness customizable" box spring system under the ,mattress and provides both air circulation and cushioning eliminating the need for Hypervent under the mattress and a foam topper on top of the mattress. Little Guy has begun installing it as standard equipment on some of their trailers. I'll report back with my review after I complete the installation and have had a chance to try it out.

Randy

19. Randy

I finished installing the FROLI Star System. Double Bed Package + 12 Pack Expansion was the perfect size, used every piece and didn't have any left over. 108 pieces total. The cost shipped was $361.

I cut around the under floor covers and attached those sections with 1/2 inch stainless steel screws to the cover so that I can easily remove them to access the storage. In retrospect, probably could have done a little better with the spacing but the entire floor is covered.

The height of the mattress is exactly the same as it was with the Hypervent and 2 inch foam topper.

Felt good laying on it the first time, a full night will tell the story!

Randy

Update 10/9/17 Couldn't wait, slept in my driveway last night. I can honestly say that it is as comfortable as my home mattress. As a side sleeper I was having trouble with hip pain and pressure points but this took care of it. Very pleased, one of my favorite mods to date.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Freight Dog, Kevin S, dustinp and 2 others like this.
  20. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Looks like a great upgrade!!

We haven't had mold/mildew/moisture problems, but I'll gladly pay money to make my sleep more comfortable (though I already sleep very well whenever we camp).

-Al

Randy likes this.