The "Dew Drop Inn" Chronicles

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by michaelo, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am lucky to see 1 teardrop a year pass through my area. Must not be hitting the right campgrounds.

Bob

2. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Couple years ago when we thought that a teardrop trailer might fit the bill for us ( get us off the cold hard ground and out of our tent) we had only a vague memory of seeing one maybe a couple decades ago. We saw pictures of them online sure, and then in the spring of 2013 saw a bunch of them being built at the Camp-Inn factory, after we put in our order we thought we'd attend the North West Roundup ( in our tent, ugh!) and saw a bunch more but we didn't see them out and about. So to see 5 in the last week and umpteen this last summer, yeah yeah it's pretty cool!

[​IMG]

Michael

3. michaelo

michaelo Novice

[​IMG]

Spotted this 560 at a nice waterfront site at Fort Casey SP from the Coupeville to Port Townsend ferry ( on my way to the wooden boat festival, Yeah!) this morning. Any idea who they might be?

Michael

4. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Check out this way cool rig...

[​IMG]

..."Q"ing for the Coupeville to PT ferry this morning...

[​IMG]

...owner said that he's enjoyed them for 20 years, has had many wonderful adventures but it's time to pass the rig unto his son. This rig is staying in the family folks!

Michael

5. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Michael,

I think the forum needs to come up with a new award for 'who has spotted the most teardrop campers'...you'd certainly be in the top 10%.

Certainly appreciate all the pictures. Very cool!

6. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Thanks Deb & Kyle, here's a snapshot of another teardrop rolling through Port Townsend, spotted at an edge of town gas station this very afternoon, this should keep us in the running for the most spotted TDs award, fun yeah!

[​IMG]

Michael

7. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Susan saw a 550 parked in a driveway on her way to Coupeville, Whidbey Island this evening, now I know the resident CI owners are off island, any thoughts on who this beauty belongs to?

[​IMG]

I checked the owners map on the forum, no clues there.

I'm tellin ya this spot on the globe is a teardroppers crossroads!

Michael

8. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Another teardrop travel trailer has camped next to Dizzy, well sort of, it doesn't have a galley under a rear hatch but it is a way cool flip top job.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture I found on line of the Alto in tow mode, it's teardrop shaped for sure.

[​IMG]

Michael

9. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Saw a T@b QuickStart snuggled up to an Airstream at Point Hudson Campground in Port Townsend this morning, go figure this pair would be camped together ;-) ...

[​IMG]

...now I wouldn't normally post a picture of a T@b ( you literally see zillions of T@bs in these parts) but this QuickStart is kind of a cool hybrid...

[​IMG]

...galley under the rear hatch, check...

[​IMG]

...onboard head/shower, check!

Michael

10. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Saw this 6/10 Silver Shadow at the TD crossroads this morning...

[​IMG]

...what?... that's right, "The Teardrop Travel Trailer Crossroads"... the soon to be famous crossroads... ( maybe in my own mind only, you laugh but I sure have seen a lot of teardroppers here ) ... the Coupeville to Port Townsend ferry.

Michael

11. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, I have a friend who has one, I think anyway, ordered... Off-road Boonie stuff... if I recall...

Or something like it?
    SoCal TD

[​IMG]
    Look kinda kewl for Off-Road-Boonie stuff..

It's all fun eh?? heheh

12. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Heh Frank, yeah, I like the SoCals, kinda half way between the Little Guy and CampInn, quality wise. It's cool what the builders are doing with off road campers nowdays...

[​IMG]

...extreme rigs...

[​IMG]

...and articulating hitches...

[​IMG]

... of course with anything you gotta have good judgement and not get too far off the beaten path!

Michael

13. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Whoa...
    Now that's kewl.. the over the boulder one..
    the out on the ridge pic, YIKES !!!...
    I'd be afraid to even move

See ya on the trails..
    Getting buggy this week, several storage runs down to La Pine, OR and I'll be hitting the trails... not sure where yet..

fun..

14. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Yes, see you on down the road Frank and you too Jenn. We are aiming to start heading south next week, seeking sunshine of course.

[​IMG]

Riding along in my automobile
    My baby beside me at the wheel
    I stole a kiss at the turn of a mile
    My curiosity runnin' wild
    Crusin' and playin' the radio
    With no particular place to go
    Chuck Berry

Michael

15. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Teardrop Nation

Have you ever thought of a way to combine your love of motorcycling and boating with comfort camping and also convince your significant other to join you in the grand adventure...

[​IMG]
    ( came across this picture online and had to post it )

... this guy stopped dreaming and did it...way to go!

Michael

16. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Very interesting. I'll bet the National Safety Board will have a panic attack with that set up (assuming this rig is in the US). A boat secured with four turnbuckle tie downs may be adequate for a crate (or just the boat), but probably not for a human rider. It appears the trailer is being pulled from a hitch offset toward the bike. This puts the passenger very near the road centerline, in order to provide room for the driver's side of the trailer tire to stay on pavement.

One only hopes this guy only drives roads with speed limits 45 mph and less.

However, kudos to his ingenuity.

17. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Yes OP, all good points, also he's not able to see past the trailer with his motorcycle mirrors!

The NSB is a curious bunch, they won't allow Morgan to import 4 wheel cars cuz their airbags aren't approved...

[​IMG]
    Not approved

...but their 3 wheel cars are fine, no air bags required, they are considered motorcycles...

[​IMG]
    Approved!

...go figure.

Of course I'd take anyone of these for a good spin, the NSB can look the other way, what they don't know...

Michael

18. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Now I know I haven't checked in for a good spell but heck we've only seen 3 teardrops in as many months and one was on a dealer lot so that doesn't count and the other two blew by us before we could snap their pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Dizzy crew has been enjoying the relative mild winter temps of the San Jacinto Valley at our very own slab of concrete in the sun that we call "camp runamucka south" , but when the sun sets over the ridge of mountains to our west the desert turns cold and that can really take the fun out of sitting outside.

We have a Mr Heater buddy propane heater that we used in our Northern Breeze in back of The Dew Drop Inn but that was somewhat contained and more efficient than using it outside or under our baked potatoe's awning. You have to have it on high then to have any effect so you really burn the propane! We thought that there's gotta be a better way.

[​IMG]

I found a thread on a camping forum that mentioned the Lil' Timber pellet patio heater, heh what's that! Ended up researching them and putting in an order, thought we'd get it in time for Christmas with family expected and all but no chance, we got it a couple days ago and OMG, just love it, we can't keep the neighbors away! We'll report back in a while after the euphoria where's off and give you a full review, stay tuned!

Michael

19. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

It is always fun to read your posts. Sounds like you are having a good winter. I'm just spending my winter wishing and planning. I hope to get more camping in this next season.
    Its been cold up here in Wa. My mom is doing pretty good. She turns 98 at the end of the month. I had hoped to get her out in the trailer but she isn't interested. Family reunion in Kansas this next June. She thinks her traveling days are over so I won't go for any long trips.
    Have fun and keep us up on your adventures.

20. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Thanks Pat. Your Mom turns 98! You have fabulous genes my dear. We're on the downward slope to spring, the days are noticeably longer than even last week. We'll be back in the WA come April.

Michael