The "Dew Drop Inn" Chronicles

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by michaelo, Oct 21, 2013.

1. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Well ok then Bob and Gina, stay tuned, more posts to follow as we make our way up the coast roads to our coastal digs in the PNW, here's another pic to tide you over.

[​IMG]

Michael

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hey, Michael, was this pic also at El Cap?

What else are you doing while in SB (Santa Barbara)? Burrito at Freeebirds? Take a walk around Campus Point, to get oil on your feet? Any hiking? The Santa Ynez mountains are AWESOME! I hope you get a hike in. The wine country north/west of El Cap (Los Olivos or so) is great!! So many good places to visit.

How many whales are you seeing? Spotted any dolphins off the beach?

If you need anything as you approach the Bay Area, just give a holler. We are 20 miles south of SF (San Mateo).

-Al

3. michaelo

michaelo Novice

We saw our first whale of the season this morning! A California Grey heading north. And yes we have seen dolphins as well as sea lions, harbor seals, pelicans red tail hawks... Al, that picture was taken on the bluffs between El Capitan and Refugio state beaches, that's Santa Cruz Island in the distance. Here's another

[​IMG]

The ocean side flora is spectacular this year. Heh, thanks for the Freebird tip, Susan and I are always on the lookout for a good burrito! We have already ruined 2 pairs of sandals walking the beaches, the tar is way nasty this year. We are gonna hang around here till Sunday, check our old haunts and see friends, (we used to live at Channel Islands Harbor) then it's off to Jalama beach campground. We are pretty self sufficient and resourceful but if we do need anything we'll let you know, thanks.

Michael

4. AlCat

those sandals aren't ruined! A little baby oil will do the trick. (but you probably know that, already)

I've not stayed at Jalama, so I'll be interested to hear what you think.

-Al

5. michaelo

michaelo Novice

We use veg oil to remove beach tar, same principle. We'll report back on Jalama beach campground, we've been hearing about this "secret spot" for years now, finally have the time and inclination to check it out this time round.

PS Freebird was a great recommendation Al, keep em comin!

[​IMG]

Michael

6. AlCat

Am glad you liked Freebirds.

I don't have specific wineries to recommend, though we liked every place we visited in the Santa Rita Hills appelation - which is the western expansion of the Santa Ynez Valley, I think. Some cool, small wineries.

7. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Thanks for the info Al.

Saw a Camp-Inn 560 roll by our campsite at El Capitan a couple times on Easter Sunday, snapped it's picture the second time round...

[​IMG]

...unfortunately we didn't get a chance to talk with the owners, and then today I saw a 6 by 10 Silver Shadow in the campground...

[​IMG]

...those teardrop trailers keep rollin along!

Michael

8. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Until this trip we felt we couldn't take the time to check out Jalama Beach campground, it's out of the way for sure, just a hop skip north of Point Conception, but the recommendations from fellow campers were piling up so we decided to make a detour...

[​IMG]

...so glad we did, if you're in need of a beach break, this is the place...

[​IMG]

...cuz that's all there is, but you can camp right on the beach or up high on a bluff over looking the wide wide and blue too, Pacific Ocean like we did...

[​IMG]

...beach loving teardroppers were well represented...

[​IMG]

...this being spring break week or is it weeks, the place was pretty crowded but it wasn't any more crowded than this beach at San Simeon State Park...

[​IMG]

...where Dizzy and crew are presently camped.

[​IMG]

Michael

9. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Yet another teardrop trailer in the campground...

[​IMG]

...just in case you're not keeping track, (no worries we'll keep count for you) we've sighted teardrops in each of the campgrounds we've stayed in as we move Dizzy north.

Michael

10. michaelo

michaelo Novice

We put California in our review this afternoon...

[​IMG]
    Mount Shasta

"My time coming, anyday, don't worry about me, no
    Been so long I felt this way, I'm in no hurry, no
    Rainbows and down that highway where ocean breezes blow
    My time coming, voices saying they tell me where to go.

Don't worry about me, nah nah nah, don't worry about me, no
    and I'm in no hurry, nah nah nah, I know where to go.

California, preaching on the burning shore
    California, I'll be knocking on the golden door
    Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light
    Rising up to paradise, I know I'm gonna shine.

My time coming, anyday, don't worry about me, no
    It's gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so
    Seems so long I felt this way and time sure passin' slow
    Still I know I lead the way, they tell me where I go.

Don't worry about me, no no no, don't worry about me, no
    and I'm in no hurry, no no no, I know where to go.

California, a prophet on the burning shore
    California, I'll be knocking on the golden door
    Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light
    Rising up to paradise, I know I'm gonna shine.

You've all been asleep, you would not believe me
    Them voices tellin' me, you will soon receive me
    Standin' on the beach, the sea will part before me
    Fire wheel burning in the air!

You will follow me and we will ride to glory, way up, the middle of
    the air!

And I'll call down thunder and speak the same and my work fills the
    sky with flame
    and might and glory gonna be my name and men gonna light my way.

It's gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so
    Seems so long I felt this way and time sure passin' slow

Don't worry about me, no no no, don't worry about me, no
    and I'm in no hurry, no no no, don't worry about me, no."
    (Lyrics to Grateful Dead's song "Estimated Prophet)

...not to worry Dizzy and crew will return (If all goes according to plan) this very fall.

Michael

11. AlCat

:)

Rainbows END down that highway....

(Google has the incorrect lyric)

I really enjoyed our trip to Shasta (the mountain, not the lake), last year

The town of Mt. Shasta has some very cool shops, and I found the mountain to be magical. Am curious where you camped. We stayed on the road at Bunny Flat, next to the "ranger's" trailer. I think I gave him a $20 for letting us stay there, though I'm sure I could have done it without doing that. But he truly appreciated it, and it made me more comfortable that I was camped on the road, in case the local sheriff rousted me for being on the road and not in the "campground." We then hiked around Panther Meadow, as well as higher on the mountain. ON Friday night we were lulled to sleep by the sound of drums and a bowl. Very Shasta.

-Al

12. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Nice catch Al, I didn't check close enough to see if the lyrics I lifted from the net were accurate, a good lesson. Susan and I had gdradio.net on as we entered Oregon with a nice version of "Estimated Prophet" playing, pretty nice exit music!

We are once again camping under the trees...

[​IMG]
    Mount Shasta KOA

...we've stopped at the Mount Shasta KOA a few times now, nice for a KOA and close to town, we just park without unhooking and walk...

[​IMG]

...we had planned on camping at some of our favorite campgrounds on the coast but many are booked over the weekends cuz of spring break, seems like everyone wants to camp with the kids right now. We overnighted at 3 KOAs to put the miles behind us and are now back on the coast...

[​IMG]
    Umpqua Lighthouse State Park

[​IMG]
    Umpqua lighthouse

...camped at Umpqua Lighthouse State Park in Oregon.

Michael

13. AlCat

I only noticed because I read the lyric and said, "Hey, I've been singing it wrong....No, that can't be the right lyric." Sure enough, the lyric you posted is the first lyric posted by Google. (I generally assume that I am singing the wrong lyric, but this one surprised me.)

sometimes publishers include intentional errors as a method of detecting copycats. The mapmakers insert extra streets and the like.

Sorry to clutter your topic!!

-Al

14. AlCat

Love your stickers. We buy a sticker any place we camp, and we've been sticking them on our big Rubbermaid box that contains all our fire stuff. Of course, over time they get a bit thrashed. And now we are thinking of going to a smaller box.....but I don't wanna lose my stickers!! :)

-Al

15. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Al, no worries, we also love momentous of our travels, like a good scrap book or high school yearbook...it puts you right back to that place and time...priceless, no?

Saw this teardrop? travel trailer on our way to Fort Stevens SP campground...

[​IMG]

...it's noteworthy feature is that it has the same paint scheme as the Tillimook cheese factory!

We only stayed one night at Fort Stevens, the bugs were so bad we couldn't sit outside, that's been very rare in our experience camping out here on the coast, it's usually bug free. Must be because of all the rain this El NiƱo year, lots and lots of standing water trapped in back of the dunes.

[​IMG]
    Fort Stevens SP

The Columbia river bar is famous for monster waves, they don't call this the ship graveyard of the Pacific for nothing...

[​IMG]

...the bones of this ship is on the beach south of the entrance jetty.

Michael

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  16. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

It's been a year and a half since the last post here. Any updates on the travels of Dizzy and crew since then?

michaelo likes this.