AC solution

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Matt Rogers, May 30, 2012.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Speaking of cherries - we spent a long weekend in Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l. Lakeshore near Traverse City, Michigan last week and, while they are known for their cherries in that area, 80% of those for sale this year are from Washington state. The early bloom and ensuing frost wiped out most of the crop. Very sad. Beautiful area to visit, though, cherries or not.

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Now that brings back memories! Many years ago, in a former life BC (Before Children), we spent a summer living in Traverse City State Park in a tent while doing cable TV installation. Beautiful area, lots of fun to explore on the weekends. The SB Dunes was a favorite. Some great memories of that time. :)

:cool:

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Betsey, no kidding, you 2 should write a book! And that area is one of our favorite places to go - it's got a whole different feel to it.

4. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Oh, we have had our share of adventures in life (and that summer was filled with some doozies!). But I don't think anyone would believe it! :D

5. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

The most unbelievable stories, are the best stories!

6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

True! Campfires with us are always enlightening...just ask anyone who camps with us! We have lots of stories for telling by the fire! :D

7. Matt: You spoke of your intermittent AC issue as if it was a known systemic issue with CI teardrops in any kind of serious heat. However, I haven't heard of any one else documenting this issue. Is this a widely occurring enough problem that I should try to have your replacement AC installed as my first AC when I place my order?

Have any of the rest of you had this issue?

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Haven't had this issue, but I've only used our AC twice.

9. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Its a lot colder in Olympia, we hit a 3 year hight of 102 in Portland and Salem yesterday. Glad I ordered the air as I plan on being out a lot especially the summer here in the NW. Dave

10. Evan

Yes, we might go sleep in SnuggleBug tonight. AC!

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Rick, there has been discussion of the AC not working in hot weather. Maybe use the 'search' button. Some CI owners have determined the exact temperature that it will and will not function. you northerners may never ever have a problem!

Mine may be the first one that broke down, I am not sure. I am actually glad it broke at this point because it was a headache for me. Keep in mind, this is Virginia...it's hot and humid here! Used the new GE all weekend and it worked great, day and night. The stock unit worked at night decent (until it broke) but never worked well during the day.plus the added features over the stock unit really are benificial...Medium blower speed and digital t-stat work really well.

12. Matt:

I did find documentation that others must experience the same mishaps in your factory installed AC. It actually came from the Owner's Manual for Camp Inns:

"As the outside temperature increases, an air conditioner will decrease in efficiency. Direct sunlight will also increase the load on the air conditioner and decrease efficiency. At higher temperatures, and in full sunlight the air conditioner efficiency may decrease to the point that the air conditioner stops cooling. If this happens, move the trailer into shade or add a canopy over the trailer until the temperature drops or the sun goes down."

Hmmm. I guess I will just keep this in mind and dig this thread up if it occurs too much to me. You are right that "normally" our summers are not that hot up here in Michigan. But THIS summer has been exceptional for the entire nation, including Michigan. Hmmm.

13. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Rick,

The only time that I experience an issue with the AC not cooling was on my way home in South Dakota. It was 104 and the site did not have shade. While the sun was up, the AC was useless. However, when the sun went down, the AC did a nice job of cooling the camper.

I have used the AC in more 'normal' circumstances and it has done fine.

14. mharmsen

mharmsen Newbie

Being new to the site and looking at campers that have AC, Camp Inn's are one of the few that have them.

My window unit in my garage at home functions just fine at all temperatures.

104 temperatures is WHEN a person needs AC.

Is this a Camp Inn specfic issue or does anyone in the industry have a solution for AC?

Mark

15. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Hey Mark, not sure if other brands have the problem. My guess....just a user, not the maker. Is that the AC is semi enclosed and only vents the top portion of the window AC. That's probably why it doesn't work like the same AC unit installed in a window with ventilation on 4-5 sides.

16. Evan

The advantage of the Camp-Inn AC is that when it gets way too hot for the AC to work, you start driving until you find somewhere cooler. Try doing that with a window unit. :)

17. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Rick- When you placed your order for your 560, did you go with the stock AC?

18. Hi Deb & Kyle:

No - I didn't even address that with Cary. I'm going to give the factory installed AC a try. It sounds like if I DO have a problem down the road, there is a solution out there for me.

19. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Rick,
    If you don't mind my asking, what options did you decide upon for your 560?
    I think fellow CI owners call it "the creep" when deciding their purchase. I'm also finding that to be true.
    Deb

20. Mattster

Mattster Newbie

I'm concerned about this assertion that the A/C won't work when it is most needed. I'm in South Florida, and if the A/C doesn't work when it's hot out I need to find a new trailer vendor. It doesn't get 102 degrees here but it is 94 degrees every day in the summer.