AC solution

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Matt Rogers, May 30, 2012.

1. Bobdaye

Bobdaye Newbie

We have used the A/C in 100+ temps without issue.

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

The current AC design is good for about 110 before it starts to hit it's knee of the curve and stops cooling effectively. Keep in mind, these would be night time temps. Saying it gets over 100 during the day is really not a big concern, you really just are not in a teardrop much during the day. It is more about your night time sleeping temps.

Cary

3. Pick

Pick Novice

If it is over 100 degrees at night I don't think I want to be camping lol.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

4. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I'm not sure that is a fair assumption and may not be applicable to everyone. For example, my wife gets migraines when it is too hot outside and she needs to retreat to a cool, quiet and dark place. Therefore, she could very well need the AC to work during the day so she can get away from the heat and get rid of the migraine.

Sometimes, you may just want to take a nap during the day, after all, you are on vacation and not on a schedule. If it is hot out, you might want a nice cool place to take a leisurely nap. As such, a working AC during the day is important.

So, is the issue with the current AC because it is next to impossible to enable ventilation on 4 sides or is it that the AC is just not that capable?

Can we supply an AC unit (assuming it is the right dimensions) for the build if it is a more capable unit? AC is one of the main requirements and I would both expect and count on it to work when I need it to, not just during the night.

Living in Texas, 100+ days are common here during the summer. It was only a few years ago we had 90+ days of 100+ degree temps with something like 34 of them in a row. Now, I doubt we would do much camping during the height of summer heat but you never know how quickly a heat wave might hit while camping.

5. 1Door

1Door Novice

The AC unit that came with our camper works effectively down here in Florida. We don't do much camping in the summer because it is really not that comfortable...mostly it's the bugs that are the issue.
    At Torreya State Park near Tallahassee, Florida back in June it was 94 degrees during the afternoon and we did get into the cabin for about 3 hours to keep cool and watch a movie on our laptop. I had a sheet over me as I felt cool with the AC on.
    But, I will tell you to be aware of the power sources at the campgrounds...we have been to some parks that have "blackouts" and when that happens in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT you have to get out of bed, open the galley hatch and reset the ground fault switch to get the AC going again.
    I think the GFCI should be in the cabin instead of the galley.
    I also do not recommend camping in high temperatures.

6. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We camped last weekend in Florida and found the air conditioner to be adequate. We recommend putting an Alcove from REI over the Teardrop to help keep it cool. We have 2 of them. One for the Teardrop and another for the Galley area. We like the optional windwall also for privacy.

7. djkline

djkline Novice

As I understand it the AC is less effective in extreme temps and direct sunlight. If you can park under the shade of a tree or create your own shade over the teardrop the AC will cool off the cabin. I've only been in mid 90s heat and direct sunlight and the AC kept the cabin nice and chilled.

8. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

I removed my Crosley CAE5M today and plan to box is up and sent to Cary for a refresh. IF it doesn't work out, I'm looking for a back-up plan. My Crosley unit is roughly 13" x 16" x 12". The Frigidaire at Lowes Model # FFRA05L1R1 states it's 13.3" x 16" x 12", but when I got to the store and measured it, the 13.3" is really over 15". I think I MIGHT be able to shoehorn that in there, but prefer not to. Looks like the right model number today that will fit is the Frigidaire FFRA0511Q1 which is not as readily available where I live. Any other's that will 'drop in' fit?

9. Pelagicflyer

Pelagicflyer Newbie

Has anyone on this forum ever install an AC/Heater unit? Would appreciate feedback on owners with experience with the propane heater option.

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I have not installed the furnace but did have to do some electrical trouble shooting. But what I wanted to post about is the use of the furnace. I spent a night in seven degree weather and was sure glad I had it. I also have the AC unit and found that a lot of warm air escapes through the AC. I'm thinking of making a cloth cover for it to insulate it.

Jenn and Pelagicflyer like this.
  11. Beth H

Beth H Newbie

We are currently camping in the Pacific Northwest. With the crazy heat wave that’s going on here right now, we decided it was finally time to use our air conditioner. Unfortunately, the fan blows but it does not provide any cold air. We believe the problem is the compressor and think easiest solution, given the fact that the unit is probably 13 years old, is to replace it. We have removed all of the interior wooden panels. We can see that it is bolted in the back and it looks like we will have to remove the exterior grill to access the bolts. If we remove all of those little hex screws from the top of the camper and take off the grill, will we be able to access the retaining bolts and remove the air conditioner? We just hate to go through all the trouble of removing the exterior grill if it’s either not necessary or not going to allow us to remove the unit.
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Beth
    Serial #0258

12. L57

L57 Novice

13. L57

L57 Novice

Consider a call to Campinn and talk to Cary. Especially before taking camper apart. Do current units fit as in to replace yours? Sizing difference. Can your unit be repaired?

14. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Yes, call Cary first before you take anything apart.

Vince G likes this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Following...I want to add a "ez-start" to mine and know it will have to be removed to do it....