Itinerary Camp Inn Texans!

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by Doug & Amber, Jan 10, 2016.

Added to Calendar: 05-13-16, 05-14-16, 05-15-16
  1. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hope you can make it! I sent you a PM.

2. Doug & Amber

Anyone else in Texas interested in joining our very informal
    "Texas Teardrop Roundup" at Pedernales Falls State Park?

Dates are May 13-15. Pedernales is just West of Austin, TX.
    Go here to reserve a campsite online :http://texas.reserveworld.com/ or call (512) 389-8900

PM Doug & Amber with any additional questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Snudley

Snudley Novice

O.K. We're in for the gathering and looking forward to meeting everyone. Should be fun seeing a half dozen or more Camp-Inns together for the first time.

Thanks Doug and Amber for the PM. I'll be in touch regarding the T-shirts.

4. Doug & Amber

Hooray!!!!!!! We now have Five 560's and One 550 signed up for our First ever "Texas Teardrop Roundup" at Pedernales Falls State Park!!!

5. birder526

birder526 Novice

So glad you are joining us! Looking forward to meeting you!

6. birder526

birder526 Novice

This is really great! We will have a fantastic time! !

7. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

I'm really excited about this Texas Roundup! I'm curious....are we going to be the only ones there with a kid (12 yr old) in tow?

Also, I would really appreciate any input on a wildhair idea I'm kicking around. I've been trying my best to get us to Big Bend (it's on the Bucket List) for the past few years & it just hasn't worked out yet. I had really been hoping to go next month (February) for the Chihuahuan Desert Bike Fest (annual mountain bike trail ride event) they have, but that's not happening now because I'll be having minor surgery then instead. So, I'm thinking maybe we'll just head to Big Bend on Sunday when we leave the Roundup @ Pedernales Falls (since we'll already be about 1/3 of the way there from DFW) and spend the following week in Big Bend.....should make for a fantastic 30th Anniversary trip! The only concern I have is if the daytime temps will likely already be too hot in Big Bend in late May to really enjoy a visit...esp. for hiking and mountain biking & considering there are no electric hookups in the park to run the AC? I've checked the annual averages on weather.com but would value real life experiences/opinions of others also. So have any of you ever been to Big Bend in May? What was your experience? What time of year is best to visit? Thanks.

Casandra

8. Doug & Amber

Mark & Casandra,

I think you will be the only ones with kids at the Texas Roundup, but that's fine and no big deal.

Big Bend is our favorite place!!!!!! I have been going out there twice a year for the past 12 years. May in BB is great. The max temps can be in high 80's and lows in the 60's. March and November are the two most popular months, but that's mostly because of Spring Break and Thanksgiving Holidays. Plenty of dry camping opportunities can be found in BB with back country permits.

If you are after sites with water and electricity, you can camp in Rio Grande Village, in the SE part of the park. There is primitive camping owned by the Park and then literally across the parking lot is a RV site park with water, sewer and electric run by a private company that pays commercial rights to the Park.

At higher elevation in the Chisos Basin, they have primitive camping, but I think do have water supply.

Hope this helps. We can provide additional info when we meet in Pedernales. Pretty sure we can talk for hours on the subject of BB.

9. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Just checkin after a week or so. Great news and sounds like it'll be a fun gathering. We'll have our 8 year old girl with us too. She's a pretty experienced camper already ;)

Looking forward to the trip!

10. birder526

birder526 Novice

Glad we will have some kids with us to keep us all in line!!

11. Mark & Casandra

Glad to hear your daughter is coming, Dan & Vanessa! I usually try to bring a few things to keep ours busy. Our son enjoys sketching, painting, art projects, science type experiments, whittling, kites, bubbles, and riding his bike to name a few. Hopefully the kids will have fun together & won't be so bored with all of us adults! ;)

12. Mark & Casandra

Whew! We had a scare. I tried booking our reservation for the Texas Camp Inn @ Pedernales back in early February, but the website was acting weird that day, and we wound up with no reservation and NO availability by the time I realized it. I've been checking the website about 15 times a day for weeks now trying to catch a campsite come open, and finally today I was able to get a reservation for Friday night (May 13)!!! :) I called the park & they said they usually have some "no shows" and last minute cancellations so there is a good chance we can stay for Saturday also, but no guarantee. If not, the Ranger said there is a place called Miller's RV Park just 7 miles away that we should be able to move to. So hopefully we will be there for the whole weekend....just may have to move "Ellie" Saturday afternoon.

I was getting really scared that we were going to miss out all together, but it's all good & we're all excited again & can't wait! Now just to figure out where we want to go for the week after the Roundup since DH has taken vacation time for our 30th anniversary.......since now we are thinking we may wait & do Big Bend near the end of the year when it will be cooler.

Casandra

13. Doug & Amber

Great news! Hopefully you can stay at the park on Saturday night as well.

14. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Actually, we will likely have our granddaughter with us as well. She turned 1 in January...she is totally awesome I might add.

15. Jay & Valerie

I am thinking of taking that Friday off and heading out early. You can check in as early as 9AM at state parks. However, if the site is still occupied, you have to wait until the campers leave or 2PM whichever comes first.

So, I could be there pretty early on friday and check everyone in. I would just need folks to paypal me the money so I could pay for all the sites. I could then ensure that we are all together.

16. Mark & Casandra

Jay,

Have you camped at Pedernales before? If so, which sites are some nice ones that you have in mind? From the map, sites #7-29 look closest to the river. Do you know if you can get down to the water from these campsites or do you have to take the trail? Not sure how everyone feels, but we personally don't like to be too close to the restrooms because of all the noise/people going in & out all the time and the lights are generally left on outside all night & kind of kills the evening campfire/stargazing atmosphere IMO.

Mark has taken off work that Friday, so we are planning to be there sometime early afternoon. Being able to get everyone together would be great! So we can send you the money, if that works best.

Casandra

17. Doug & Amber

Jay,

We should arrive about Noon on the 13th, we are leaving Houston about 9am ish.
    Checking us in would be great. I'm happy to prepay and send you $$$ via PayPal. Remind me of the park fees and what we would owe for the 3 days and 2 nights.

18. Jay & Valerie

I have camped there before. There are trails that lead down to the water that are generally accessible from most of the sites. However, the falls require a short drive as does the swim beach.

I posted a short review on my blog here
    http://cre8tiveapps.blogspot.com/2015/05/pedernales-falls-state-park-review.html

I will try to take a day trip out in the next couple of weeks, grab some pictures of sites and try to find the best spot where we can all be in the same location. Do we have a total count yet of who all is coming?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  19. Doug & Amber

Thanks for the recon Jay. Great info on your blog as well, well done.

As far as head count, I believe we have:

Doug Amber
    Jay & Valerie
    Mark & Casandra
    Mary R
    Snudley
    Dan & Vanessa

I sent PM to all asking for arrive date and time.

20. Mark & Casandra

Wait! Did I miss something? What happened to Diane and Michael? Did they start this party & now they're going to stand us all up? We'll have to do something about that!

Casandra