Change of direction!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Evan, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Sarah, when your map fills up on the West Coast then it's time to move to the other side of the country. :)

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Maybe I can finally get my long haul!

3. Evan

FYI, SnuggleBug no longer lives in the NW. The big move started last Friday. I've spent most of the last week driving a large Penske across the U.S. and getting ready to start classes next week. Lena and Katie are working their way down the Oregon Coast with SnuggleBug on the way to a wedding in San Fran.

If I drop off of the forum for a couple of months it is because I will swimming in Greek (starting Monday.) Sarah will be joining Lena and Katie so I'm sure she will post lots about their upcoming trip together.

4. Pick

Pick Novice

Welcome to Indiana Evan. Can't match the geography of the west coast but a great place to live. We are twenty miles south of Indianapolis in Franklin. If you find yourself heading down I-65 to camp in some of the great state parks in the southern part of the state stop by, would be great to meet you and your family.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Welcome to the Midwest! Hopefully you'll be able to get out a few times this summer to enjoy some of the great parks and just unwind. As Aristotle said, "The end of labor is to gain leisure."

6. schluns

schluns Novice

Hey Evan!
    Welcome to Indiana! We are in Indianapolis if you need anything. Glad to have you as a neighbor.

7. Evan

Quick update:

I've been mostly AWOL for the last year, although I do try to log on and check messages a few times each week. (A big thank you Ken who faithfully continues doing the heavy lifting of spam zapping and moderation - because of course y'all are such a rowdy bunch...)

The first year of study at the Sem is over. This included learning Greek and Hebrew - whew! I have 3 years of training left and then we are off to who knows where... In the meantime we try to get some camping in when we can. (SnuggleBug went to Florida during winter break.)

Make sure you guys in the NW have a great time at the Round-Up. We wish we could be there!

8. Ken & Peggy

Good to hear things are going well Evan. 1 year done already! Have you got a break now for summer? Hopefully you'll get some camping in, once things dry out a bit...

9. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

It is nice to get an update. I hope the rest of the adventure goes smoothly. I can't even imagine trying to learn both Greek and Hebrew. I have always thought it would be wonderful to know and be able to get a better understanding of the Bible translations. I don't have the smarts for it though. lol.
    I hope Katy has adjusted well. She is a special young girl and I enjoyed her at the camp outs.

10. Evan

A personal update:

Today I finished that last paper which means that my second year at the seminary is officially complete - halfway there!

I've been assigned to do my vicarage (internship) year at Lincoln, NE, so we'll be packing up and moving in about a month.

Since I've been so busy with school for the last few years, Ken has been doing almost all the hard work here on the forum, along with the rest of you who regularly read and contribute. Thanks for making this forum great! Some of the newer members probably don't know who I am (but they fear and tremble before Ken). :)

I hope everyone has a great summer and, as Sue says, camp on!
    (It's so nice to be able to quote someone without needing a Turabian citation.)

11. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Congratulations Evan. It sounds like everything is going will. I hope you enjoy Nebraska.

12. Ken & Peggy

Congrats on hitting the half-way mark Evan! Your hard work is paying off - good luck on your new assignment. Hopefully you'll have a bit of free time to enjoy summer in Nebraska.

13. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Hi again,

Said our congrats on another post, but will repeat: FANTASTIC!!!

Lincoln is a nice place. We're sure you all will make tons of new friends right off.

Well done

Sue and Jim

14. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Awesome, Congrats.

15. Evan

It's time for the final update to this thread:

Just over five years ago I posted my intention to quit my job and go to seminary. At that time the only official education I had was a GED. We spent a year in Aberdeen WA, while I did my undergraduate work and we prepared for our move to Indiana. As part of the 4-year program at Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, we also lived in Lincoln, NE for a year where I served as a vicar (intern). On May 19 I graduated with a Master of Divinity, having received a call to serve two small parishes in Greenwich, CT. (Incidentally, New England is the last major area of the continental U.S. that Snugglebug has not visited.) I will be ordained this coming Sunday (6-17-18) in Fort Wayne, and then we'll move to Greenwich by the end of this month.

Last week we made a quick visit to New England - what a great place to live! I'm sure we'll need at least 20 years to properly explore the area.

Thanks to the generous community on this forum, there has never any issue keeping the forum running during the last five years that I have been a full-time student. In fact, we even did a major (and fully-funded) software update during a semester break. Thanks everyone, and have a great summer!

Chuckwagon, Tour 931, dustinp and 3 others like this.
  16. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Congratulations on achieving this milestone! I look forward to hearing of your adventures in the Northeast. Having a teardrop certainly opens up a lot of areas for me to imagine exploring. It's also nice to be able to change plans spur of the moment. We have reservations next week in Acadia and are watching the weather - if too wet, we'll head south instead. Can't wait to hear what gems you discover in that area.

Evan likes this.
  17. NH Wanderlust

NH Wanderlust Junior Ranger Donating Member

18. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Thank you Evan for all you have done to keep this forum running. You have been a blessing to this community and I have no doubt you will be a blessing to the communities you will be serving in Greenwich. Will keep your new ministry in my prayers.

Randy

Evan likes this.
  19. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Bonnie Prince Charlie?

20. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Congratulations Evan, although I do not know you all that well I have enjoyed my time on the forum.

Evan likes this.