Securing your trailer

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Jay & Valerie, Aug 11, 2015.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

There are wifi motion-activated video cams that even have night vision, but I think they are expensive. Plus, if you are boondocking you aren't likely to have a wifi connection, right?, so the pictures/video won't be getting uploaded during the times you most need them.....

Honestly, I think we are better off just electrifying the entire TD, so the perp gets a nasty shock

[again, kidding - as this would be illegal in most states, I think]

Perhaps the best "solution" is insurance against theft and not storing anything in your TD that can't be replaced. (plus locks, etc.)

-Al

2. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

Many Ranchers electrify their fences to manage livestock. Electric fence supplies are readily available from Ranch & Farm Supply...at least here in Northern California. One quick trip to the store and you're done. Or have Amazon ship. :):)

3. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

Cary...
    "could this be done via radio rather than GPS? Tell us more."

Oh, where do I start?

1) one must obtain an Amateur "HAM" Radio license. It's test consists of 55 questions, multiple choice. Morse Code is no longer needed. There is a lot of license test help available on-line. I liken it to taking a driver's test.

2)Automated Position Reporting System (APRS)
    Basically, APRS uses two radios...one for tracking and one for receiving.

The tracking radio is placed on the vehicle to be tracked. The tracking radio determines its GPS location and then transmits its GPS location to the receiving radio. Updating occurs every nn minutes.

APRS Receiving radios are located throughout the planet. There are 100's, if not 1000's of fixed location APRS radios; each of which is connected to the INTERNET.

The location data of the target vehicle is available to anyone with INTERNET access, Radio License Call Sign,and APRS logon.

The APRS system runs on 145.05 Mhz, an amateur radio frequency.

APRS has been around for a long, long time. As such there is a ton of specialized radio supplies, and used equipment, and software.

APRS has been around for a long, long, long, time. As such, APRS has many, many features to facilitate what you want to do.

4. AlCat

Carl: I am not sure if I am understanding how the ham radio solution works. Are you saying that the TD owner would leave a ham radio "on" in the TD when it is unoccupied, so the TD could be tracked if stolen?

If so, how energy intensive is that? (I assume it uses less juice than a gps, but I have no idea.)

I am not asking because I am concerned with energy conservation in the "green" sense. Am only asking because I know that some folks need to conserve energy when boondocking as not everyone travels with a generator or solar panel.

re "electrifying" the TD, maybe it's legal if you put a warning sign on it?.....(I do not know)

-Al

5. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

Yes, the HAM solution requires that the TD owner leaves the HAM radio "on". As long as the radio is "on", the target vehicle is being tracked. If the TD is stolen, Look up the TD location via the INTERNET and give the location information to the authorities. Some folks use APRS to periodically notify friends and families of trip progress via eMail.

Energy consumption is relativity small. Can be less than 100mw and greater than 200w. Owner determines Power level needed and sets radio settings.

Our Ranch & Farm Supply has nice red and white metal signs "Warning Electrified Fences". People seem to use the signs more for target practice. It would be fun to put the TD in the middle of a wire fence that is electrified for a picture. :).

6. AlCat

:)

Warning - electrified teardrop

7. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I haven't found anything good to lock the TD to the tow vehicle. I have one of the pins that go through the latch and lock but anyone with a bolt cutter could get it off in seconds. I thought the Krok Lock locked like a good one as it could be used on or off the tow vehicle but they must have gone out of business or something. Can't find them anywhere except for the You Tube video. I guess I never thought of someone taking it while I was in the truck stop or at a rest area. I need to shop for a different lock. Suggestions?

8. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Love the idea of an electrified TD. Riot. I'd try it just for the joyous chance of getting some would-be thief so fried he'd glow in the dark...but would more likely just melt my tires.

Patty, we use a wheel lock and a hitch lock. Won't stop someone really determined, but the longer you can delay them, the more likely they'll leave it alone. I suggest you go with my favorite security plan: five strapping young men with black belts and bad attitudes. Unfortunately I cannot positively say this works as Jim has yet to let me hire the dudes.

Spoil-sport.

Camp On,

Sue

9. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

"Love the idea of an electrified TD. Riot. I'd try it just for the joyous chance of getting some would-be thief so fried he'd glow in the dark...but would more likely just melt my tires."

We had some Electronic Engineering candidates who took great pleasure in electrifying doorknobs in the dorms.

Patty, we use a wheel lock and a hitch lock. Won't stop someone really determined, but the longer you can delay them, the more likely they'll leave it alone.

Agree. I use Reese Tow Power, Keyed alike Anti-Theft Lock Kit P/N 70147 and a cable which I run thru the Propane Tank and the frame. Steeling propane tanks is on the rise.

10. pbaker2225

I do have a wheel lock that I Use. And also a receiver lock. My hitch lock is so flimsy and has plenty of room so it could be easily cut. I have been wondering about getting this one. Trimax SXTC1 Premium Stainless Steel Coupler Lock I need to measure my coupler latch to see if it will fit. It looks like it will fit tight enough it would be hard to cut with bolt cutters. What do you think?
    Sounds like a good idea to do something to secure the propane tank also. Always someone around to take what they don't own.
    I still like Franks idea with all the stencils. If we make our trailer stick out like a sore thumb on the highway maybe they will be more likely to leave it alone. I have applied Sharkhide to my trailer and don't know if that would have to be removed before stenciling or not.

11. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

I love the idea of nose art - stencils, too. Maybe even pin stripes or some of that wonderful fancy work you see on hot rods! So cool, or "kool", as Frank would say. Don't know if the Sharkhide would be a problem, but if you have the stenciling professionally done, they should know how to deal with the coating.

Camp On,

Sue

12. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

Nose Art.

Greetings...Check out Auto wrap from graphic sign companies such as Sign-O-Rama. They develop the design images on a computer, print the wrap, and then cover the vehicle (or part of) with the wrap. Prices for the small stuff seems pretty affordable. And it's removable!

13. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Re: Nose Art.

.... say whaaat......

Heheheh.. Kewl....

Google pic

(really irritating that Google nor FB will allow xxx.jpg photos to be shared by showing the pic instead of a link..)

14. pbaker2225

Kool picture Frank. Glad to see you have your art on the new rig. It sounds like you have lots of battery power.
    I have looked at a lot of stencils but haven't found anything that Jumped out at me. Looking for something that reflects my personality but doesn't scream "Girl traveling alone"

15. fpoole

Pat, you can usually just create something and have an artist refine it...

I just used "Stick Figures" to get the idea... then the artist fills it out...

Draw what you want to have... or talk with them to see if they have ideas...

fun...

16. pbaker2225

You must have found a good artist. I'll have to give it some more thought. I'm not very creative or artsy. More of a mechanical type I guess. I have a friend who can visualize very well and always has good ideas. I think I will consort with her.
    It has still been freezing at night so haven't unwinterized the camper yet. I ordered a mattress pad so I can sew some velcro strips on it to attach my DC pad and keep it straightened out. I love the furnace but think it will really help to be able to heat up the bed. Especially since I have the memory foam.
    We had a couple of beautiful days so am catching up on outdoor stuff. Lots to do in the spring around here.

17. fpoole

Yah, understand...

Here's the gal I used, Victory Girl she specializes in WWII pinups but can do anything as you've seen from mine.

TD Art to be put on Camper soon It's all fun...

It might not be your style, heheh, I'm just waiting to get "banned" from a campsite, but you get the idea.

Heat pads, yes, make a big difference but burns through battery power, usually at 3am... I found that by heating it up about an hour or 2 before bedtime, works best. Once in, you don't really need it..

Temps at Quartzsite, AZ were pushing to the 90's... Currently in NM to do the Carlsbad Caverns, NM...

Always sumpt'n eh?? fun...

18. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Now that we have our trailer, we secure it with the Mega Hitch Lock. We realize that nothing is fool proof, it will serve as a deterrent and slow them down a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Your camper is a beauty, congratulations. You may want to consider wrapping and locking up the chains as well, I have heard that thieves will simply haul it off using the tow chains.

Randy

20. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yeah, Cary told us about that most theives will drag onto a roll-off flat bed and simply drive away. This should slow them down.