Securing your trailer

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Jay & Valerie, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

We added another layer of security to our trailer this weekend. It's the Trimax Wheel Lock. Super easy to install, takes less than 10 seconds. This might make it more difficult to drag the trailer away.

[​IMG]

LisaNKevin likes this.
  2. birder526

birder526 Novice

We use this! It is easy-to-use and is one more deterrent.

3. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We utilize a similar device for our 550. We found it on Amazon.

4. SnowGypsy

SnowGypsy Newbie

Right now we have a pop-up and use the Reese Trailer Keeper. When we were living outside Tucson, AZ, we had the best hitch lock available and woke up to find the camper gone and drag marks across the dirt driveway. It was a long driveway too! I had seen earlier in the week a larger flatbed being towed through the area and the man was looking all over the place and I just thought he was probably looking for a specific address. This was the first new camper we had bought with all the bells and whistles. Thank goodness for insurance but the feeling of vulnerability after a theft is still quite an impact.

5. birder526

birder526 Novice

That is upsetting in many ways. We have used a boot, hitch lock, and coupler lock, and thankfully no problem. So sorry you had to go through this.

6. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Makes you wonder if you should chain the trailer to something, when the trailer is at home.

7. irishezs06

irishezs06 Newbie

Now you are a HOOT! An electrified door knob or TD. Now that, I have to admit, would be damn funny, in a sick kind of way, like when my Dad used to put tape on the bottom of the cat's feet. Sick but silly. Poor kitty. Of course, I'd never do that kind of mean thing to a sweet animal but watching my Dad chortle, with his Irish twinkle in his eye, was a treat.

Miss him.

Mo aka Irishezs

8. Skydvr

Skydvr Newbie

What are people using to lock the trailer to the tow vehicle?
    I'm planning on an extended trip and the trailer will probably stay hooked up most of the time. Looks like some of you have spent some time researching these issues, figure I'll rely on your knowledge before I go digging into it myself.

9. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Skydvr,

You will 2 things for securing the trailer to your tow vehicle. First is a lock hitch pin, so someone can't steal the hitch and ball. Also so this can't remove whole assembly and steal trailer.
    [​IMG]

The second thing you need is a coupler lock so that the trailer is locked to the ball.
    [​IMG]

Of course nothing is "theft-proof", the goal with any lock or locks is to act as a deterrent and or to slow the theive down. We use coupler lock and hitch lock when moving. We use wheel lock and ball coupler lock when at camp and we leave the campsite in the tow vehicle.

Hope this helps.

10. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I am a bit leery of buying locks marked as "keyed alike". I get the impression that if you buy two sets of "keyed alike" locks, both sets are likely to have the same key. So if someone else buys a set, they will have the key to your trailer's locks.

11. JeremyB

JeremyB Junior Ranger Donating Member

I purchased the following:

Hitch Pin Lock
    Trimax Wheel Lock
    Proven Industries Hitch Lock
    SPOT Gen3 (50% rebate available right now)

Still researching wheel locks for the studs. Anybody know what size I need to buy?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  12. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I just saw in a local forum here about some folks that got their recreational trailer stolen (not a CampInn) so I figured I would shoot a video of my locks and finally got it uploaded today to my Youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/2wcN4qQIBJM

jpbrew and Wild Robot like this.
  13. tdldjdx2

tdldjdx2 Newbie

Jay: Great video as usual. I had already purchased both based on your posts I read on your Blog page. I am very pleased with them both. I have not used the tent as of yet but the trailer is home and I'm still trying to find some time to use it....LOL. By the way I hope your enjoying your new Northwest home.

14. Jay & Valerie

Thanks. We are finally getting around to making new side tents. Some minor modifications to the design but almost the same. Hope you find some time to enjoy your new trailer soon. Lastly be safe out there, appreciate what you do for the city.

15. Wild Robot

Wild Robot Newbie

I used the same locking setup when I had my trailer. That Proven Industries coupler lock is really fantastic.

16. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Seems to me the best solution to trailer security would be a dog. May not be the most pratical, but imagine a well trained dog defending the trailer should defer many criminals. :rolleyes:

17. Jay & Valerie

Good point. My dog comes on all our camping trips but when we go out for a hike, she comes with us.

18. We have a Reese Hitch Lock and one of the Trimax Wheel Locks too.

19. jpbrew

jpbrew Novice

I had a Reese Hitch Lock when I watched the Proven Industries video on how easily the lock can be removed, so I tried it and sure enough, I had that lock broken off in about 10 seconds. Jay and Valerie's video features a Proven Industries hitch lock and it looks to be military grade tough. A bit expensive but worth it if you worried about your Camp Inn disappearing. I ordered model 2178.

Tour 931 likes this.
  20. Jay & Valerie

Yes, those Reese hitch locks are pretty weak. I have one laying around and was planning on doing a short video of just how easy it is to snap those things off.